Helpful Relevancy Team Views vs. Favorites - What's more important?

Helpful Relevancy Team is a moderated team with the following requirements:

This Team is not accepting new members. It will be shut down soon.

Elsewhere

Is it better to have more views or more favorites for SEO in your shop?

I would love to know the difference between the two.
Thanks!

Posted at 9:58pm Jun 12, 2012 EDT

Judith says

Hi, Linda!
Anytime a person looks at your item it is a "view" and in order for it to be a "favorite" that person has to choose "add item to favorites". So you can easily have more "views" for an item than "favorites" for the same item.

Personally, I think the more views the better. People favorite an item for a lot of reasons not necessarily connected with actually buying the item.

Judith from Crotchetymama

Posted at 3:12pm Jun 13, 2012 EDT

Thanks Judith. I am wondering though if views & favorites help with relevancy - having your listing get to the first page, etc. in a search.

Is one more 'weighed' than the other? Or it doesn't matter for relevancy.

I can't seem to find out about it from my research. If anyone can send me a link to where its been discussed, I would sure appreciate it.

Posted at 4:53pm Jun 13, 2012 EDT

Judith says

I don't think that matters, but not sure.

I do know that if someone searches for an item, and finds one of your listings in the search results, and clicks on it, that action moves your item up in relevancy in Etsy search algorithm. So I guess if your item is found in a search and clicked on then it is considered more relevant no matter what page the item was found on.

This link is quite fascinating on relevancy and building links...from Mary at SEO and Relevancy team: www.etsy.com/teams/11352/relevancy-and-seo-for-all-etsy-shops/discu...

Other than that...sorry. No opinion. It's interesting stuff, isn't it?

Posted at 5:31pm Jun 13, 2012 EDT

Great link judith. Thanks for sharing.

Posted at 7:07pm Jun 16, 2012 EDT

Linda,

If you examine the opportunities available for 'views' and 'favorites' you will note that the opportunity to 'favorite an item exists without having to actually 'view' it.
Items can be seen in your activity feed, treasuries, and other places that provides the opportunity for anyone to click on the little heart in the thumbnail photo and 'heart' or 'favorite' the item without actually clicking on the item and going to the listing in your shop.

Given this information, I feel that 'views' are more important because they actually take a customer to your listing which is inside your shop. There then exists the opportunity for that customer to click on through to your shop and view the other items you have for sale. Thus creating the additional opportunity for a sale.

As for which action is more weighted, my understanding is that the # of views does minimally affect the relevancy of a listing.

-pat

Posted at 8:18am Jun 18, 2012 EDT

Judith says

That is a really good point that I hadn't considered. I appreciate the new thought. : )

Judith from Crotchetymama

Posted at 3:39pm Jun 18, 2012 EDT

I didn't think about this! Your thread helped me too!

Posted at 12:01pm Aug 6, 2012 EDT

Pat

I agree with your perspective. I think views are more important because someone is actually looking at the items for sale in your shop.

I favorite a lot of items - sometimes because I see something that gives me an idea of how to present an item or even make it. And there are times that I favorite something because I do like the item. When I am shopping for supplies of Etsy, I favorite a number of items so I can go back to my favorites and do some comparisons.

Posted at 2:19pm Aug 10, 2012 EDT

Margaret,

Thanks for stopping by and adding to the conversation. Yes, Etsy makes it very easy for viewers to "heart and not stop". I think pretty much everyone should be aiming to get even the most casual viewer into their shop to look around. I wonder if there is any way to encourage our shoppers to actually go to the shop level to view items?

Anyone have any ideas?