Helpful Relevancy Team Pictures Which background do you prefer?

Helpful Relevancy Team is a moderated team with the following requirements:

This Team is not accepting new members. It will be shut down soon.

Elsewhere

Hello I have been updating pictures for the last few days and wonder which items grab your attention? Those on plain white (fotofused), white paper, white towel, frosted glass table ( I was going for a beachy water look) with or without starfish and shells turquiose or blue background. I keep changing them BUT I'm not sure which to go with so that I can have a uniform looking shop. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Just check out a few of my items like my pastel kumihimo bracelet, or lemon lime bracelet, or any other item and give me an honest opinion. I really need to settle on a background that works. Thanks for your help. Ellen

Posted at 1:42 am Aug 17, 2012 EDT

Your store looks great. We like all your pics but prefer the views other than beach scenes. Your items show up better on the plain background. Lots of luck.
Mary Lou

Posted at 9:23 am Aug 17, 2012 EDT

I prefer the plain background too. The others seem to take the eye away from your lovely items!

Good luck

Posted at 3:15 pm Aug 17, 2012 EDT

I love'em all. I don't see why you can't use them in all (5) frames in your listing. I was waiting on someone to tell you they like seeing jewelry on a model. Hah! Great job! Saluting all your hard work. Good luck.

Posted at 6:29 pm Aug 17, 2012 EDT

I like the plain white backgrounds also. Shows off your beautiful jewelry better. The other backgrounds are a little too distracting.

Good luck!

Posted at 8:29 pm Aug 18, 2012 EDT

I think the bright white looks the best.

Posted at 9:07 pm Aug 26, 2012 EDT

I actually like the mix of backgrounds of shells, normal white, and fotofused white, and the slightly gray/ silver background. I think the shells are neutral enough and if you crop the pic so that just a bit of the shell is visible and does not overwhelm the item for sale - I think it works.

How is a store supposed to have personality if all of the backgrounds are all bright white? Not all colors look best when photographed against white. It is an issue I also struggle with and actually came over to the team today to ask the same question about my backgrounds!

I know everyone thinks white is best. But when I look at items, I find myself wanting the items that have a background that enhances the item or the feel of the item. Do you know what I mean? (That said, I agree that a distracting background is a killer!)

Posted at 11:24 am Aug 31, 2012 EDT

I think you could use different backgrounds and props as long as they are all cohesive and don't compete with the jewelry. I think the Fall Braided Bead Kumihimo is a successful shot because the dark necklace really stands out from the starfish. The necklace is the star (no pun intended) not the starfish.

Soft shadows that give the jewelry some depth are better than the ones that look like there're floating in the air.

Some of your pieces that are very light would look better to me on a darker background so they really pop.

Bottom line select backgrounds and props that best support and complaint the jewelry. Think about contrast between the background and the jewelry. Successful: Fall Braided Bead Kumihimo bracelet. Not successful: Swarovski Silver Stardust, White Pearl and Crystal Bridal Bracelet. Beautiful bracelet so I want to really see it pop off that background.

Hope this helps.

Posted at 5:34 pm Aug 31, 2012 EDT

Thanks for the feedback. I think I'll adjust some of the pics. Ellen

Posted at 8:54 pm Sep 1, 2012 EDT

I like white or off-white background. They just give you that dramatic ambiance and will give the spotlight right away to the item you are selling!

Posted at 9:53 am Sep 4, 2012 EDT