Etsy Relevancy SEO and Stats Etsy buying Google AdWords for sellers' names

Etsy Relevancy SEO and Stats is a moderated team with the following requirements:

Team is closed to new members, & will close completely in the future as soon as I can find a way to remove all members or halt all posts.

This team is self-help style - you are expected to read the threads provided & learn the basics on your own. This is not a promotion forum, nor is it a critique forum - please do not post asking for a shop critique or a general "what is wrong with my SEO?"

All Etsy forum rules apply - no calling out, discussing other members negatively etc.

I discuss it here:
www.etsy.com/teams/7718/site-help/discuss/10450657

& I am really, really upset about this. Why build my personal SEO if Etsy is going to buy it out from under me?

Posted at 4:27am Jun 12, 2012 EDT

Cindy Thanks so much for highlighting this issue which is disturbing on many levels.I am trying to understand it fully and appreciate your expertise.

Posted at 5:44am Jun 12, 2012 EDT

Wow unbelievable. I'll be closely watching that thread to see if admin has anything to say about it.

Posted at 11:04am Jun 12, 2012 EDT

Etsy has replied:
www.etsy.com/teams/7718/site-help/discuss/10450657/page/15/?post_id...

the program has been stopped, at least temporarily

Posted at 12:23pm Jun 12, 2012 EDT

Cindy,
Thanks for your hard work on exposing this and your concern for all sellers here. I Read the whole thread and Franks response and do not for a second believe that Etsy is incompetent enough to not know which adwords they were buying. Thanks to you looks like somebody got caught red handed with their hand in the cookie jar!
THANK YOU!!!

Posted at 12:50pm Jun 12, 2012 EDT

Oh my... that is is unbelievably gutsy. And sorry, but the reply sounded like they were perhaps trying to wiggle out of it. Etsy certainly does not need to purchase adwords for shops, because if you search a specific shop name it comes up really high in Google anyway... at least mine did the last time I checked.

Thanks for staying on top of all this Cindy!

Posted at 5:43pm Jun 12, 2012 EDT

Thank you for posting the original thread. I had no idea! I'm glad they stopped the "experiment".

Posted at 8:41pm Jun 12, 2012 EDT