Shipping Improvements Buyers encouraged to file nondelivery claims if packages don't arrive on time?

Shipping Improvements is a moderated team with the following requirements:

This prototype was closed on February 4, 2013.

If you're going to send out emails scaring our buyers into thinking their packages are lost 5 days after being marked shipped, you're going to have to give us a way to mark orders as packed or processed besides the shipped box. I'm not interested in accidentally packing orders twice, nor am I a fan of my buyers freaking out on Wednesday over orders I packed in my pajamas on Saturday night (yes I'm that cool) and didn't take to the post office til Monday. And what if the packages get delayed in transit? What if there's a holiday? How about linking them to contact the seller or telling them to check for tracking info instead of filing a claim? As it is, it's going to make for a lot of pissed off sellers, worried buyers, and extra work for the trust and safety team. Which I'm thinking they could do without at this point.

Posted at 12:30 pm Jul 16, 2012 EDT

Highlighted Responses What is this?

Brittany Williams from belise00 says
Highlighted Post

Amanda from LongWinterSoapCo says:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Amanda,

We are testing delivery confirmation emails that fall into a very specific set of circumstances as a part of the Shipping Improvements Prototype. Your buyer could only receive a delivery confirmation email if you're participating in the Shipping Improvements Prototype, providing estimated delivery dates for your items, and have not supplied a tracking number. Please see the below details on how it works:

+++ Once a week, we check to see if you have recent purchases that are past their estimated delivery date and do not have a tracking number (sellers can add a tracking number when they send a shipping notification).

+++ If you have recent purchases that meet these criteria, we send one email to confirm whether the buyer received each of the orders.

+++ Buyers will receive at most one email per week, and buyers will never be asked to confirm delivery of a specific order more than once.

PLEASE NOTE: If a seller adds a tracking number when they send a shipping notification, the buyer will not receive a delivery confirmation email.

If you have provided a tracking number and your buyers have still received a delivery confirmation email, please let me know as it could be a bug.

Thanks as always for testing new products and helping us improve Etsy for buyers and sellers!

Brittany

Posted at 10:01 am Jul 18, 2012 EDT

Brittany Williams from belise00 says
Highlighted Post Edited on Jul 18, 2012

Dianne from SparklingSistersJS says:

And this is exactly why I refuse to use the processing and shipping speed feature. This whole process is going to cause nothing but problems for everyone: seller, buyer, and Etsy. Don't know how Etsy is not seeing this as a severely flawed system!!!

There are too many sellers with too many creative and shipping processes and too many postal systems to fit everything into one estimated delivery process that will work. What a catastrophe!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Dianne,

We appreciate everyone's feedback in the team and are glad to have you test out our new tools. Please see the note I wrote above to Amanda in regards to the delivery confirmation emails that are only being sent in a very specific set of circumstances.

Regarding Estimated Delivery Date, this is a feature that we see great value in for our buyers and sellers. It will build more clarity around items so buyers better understand when they can expect to receive their order. However, given the geographic spread and product diversity (from fully-customizable to read-to-ship products!) of the Etsy marketplace, it's difficult to build a one size fits all solution. We are working hard to build realistic expectations on the part of the buyer so they understand that sellers can only guarantee the time it takes for them to get the product in the mail.

In addition, when a buyer selects an international shipping method they see this message: International shipping speeds are not a guarantee. Delays due to the shipping carrier or customs could affect when you receive your order.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks!

Brittany

Posted at 10:28 am Jul 18, 2012 EDT

Brittany Williams from belise00 says
Highlighted Post

artaltered from artaltered says
Etsy should not be sending emails to our customers about shipping. Period.

This is just a bad idea from start to finish. Once the package leaves our hands, it is out of our hands. Most sellers will do the right thing for a buyer with a lost package, but getting into the middle of a transaction is just wrong. FTR, I've shipped thousands of packages over nearly a decade and had 3 or 4 lost. It is extremely rare. Long delivery times in the US are rare as well.

For international shipping it is absolutely unacceptable for Etsy to create ANY expectations about shipping times. Packages to Italy can take SIX MONTHS. Not kidding.

I get so frustrated with some of these changes.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

artaltered,

Please see my note above to Amanda regarding delivery confirmation emails.

Buyers see the following message if they select an international shipping destination: International shipping speeds are not a guarantee. Delays due to the shipping carrier or customs could affect when you receive your order.

Thanks for testing out our products!

Brittany

Posted at 10:32 am Jul 18, 2012 EDT

Brittany Williams from belise00 says
Highlighted Post

Liz Stillman from TheSweetStrap says:

I agree with the OP. 4 claims this week, for orders that ended up being delivered the next day. I'm noticing USPS taking longer than normal to deliver my packages regardless of where I ship them. Very stressful.

Wish I could bulk edit my shipping/ transit times so I could get out of this easier!

Also: I have already given out one refund for shipping costs to avoid negative feedback even though I followed through on every promise I made. It's just too much more to worry about. I don't think July 4 was calculated as a holiday either, so that didnt help much.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hi Liz,

Thanks for the feedback. Are you entering tracking numbers for your buyers? If so, and they're still putting in claims, please let me know and we'll look into the account.

The bulk editor for shipping and processing speeds should be out very soon! We're working hard to provide it to this prototype team asap.

Regarding holidays, at this point our shipping estimator only differentiates between weekdays and weekends and does not take into account public holidays. We're fairly confident that this issue will not cause severe delays.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Brittany

Posted at 10:40 am Jul 18, 2012 EDT

Eric Stephens from EricDS says
Highlighted Post

Hi everyone,

Thank you again for all the feedback. We are no longer sending delivery confirmation emails.

Eric

Posted at 7:09 pm Jul 31, 2012 EDT

Eric Stephens from EricDS says
Highlighted Post

Hi all,

I just wanted to reiterate that we don't have any plans to turn this feature back on.

Thanks,
Eric

Posted at 5:11 pm Aug 9, 2012 EDT

I just responded to my second nondelivery report of the day! On orders placed last week! NOT COOL.

Posted at 11:48 pm Jul 16, 2012 EDT

Posted at 1:33 am Jul 17, 2012 EDT

I did not know about this, how are they being encouraged to file nondelivery reports?

Posted at 8:17 am Jul 17, 2012 EDT

Etsy should not be sending emails to our customers about shipping. Period.

I get so frustrated with some of these changes.

Posted at 9:34 am Jul 17, 2012 EDT

I'm approaching 20,000 sales, and I've responded to as many non-delivery cases in the past two days as I have since 2007. These people ordered a week ago, their orders were shipped within a few days, should be due tomorrow, and half of them are completely irate. How is this helpful exactly?

Posted at 8:28 pm Jul 17, 2012 EDT

Oh, I should add that I use paypal (off Etsy) to ship, which sends tracking to their email automatically. I don't want to paste correspondence here, but the email goes something like, "Hi there! You should have received this package by now, have you? If not, be sure to file a non-delivery claim here: (link)" No mention of contacting me, no mention of checking for shipping confirmation... Just an invitation to freak out.

Posted at 8:30 pm Jul 17, 2012 EDT

Katie from UpHome says
Edited on Jul 18, 2012

I've got conspiracy theories. Who wants to hear 'em? Tough. Read them anyway.

1. Etsy doesn't like to get involved in disputes about non-delivery (it's completely out of their control) so I guess they're telling buyers take their problems and go elsewhere, they don't wanna hear it.

2. That, and the fact they're encouraging sellers to use DC which bypasses PP. So they're making it difficult for sellers who use PP in order to drive them to DC.

Dearest Etsy, please don't give buyers unrealistic expectations. I have no control over late deliveries ESPECIALLY around the holidays. I am NOT handing out refunds for late deliveries (lost, yes, but not "late"). Lastly, I like to avoid nightmares with PayPal when at all possible. Please discontinue use of supposed emails and stop directing my buyers to PP.

Thanks,
(eta: Your Most Humble Servant,)
Katie