Relevancy and SEO for All Etsy Shops Google's Adwords Keyword Tool: How to Use and Find Great Keywords

Relevancy and SEO for All Etsy Shops has the following requirements:

Everyone who wants to learn Etsy and/or Google SEO is welcome to join.

**** There are no SEO Reviews on this team at this time.****

USE OUR SEO Q&A THREAD TO POST QUESTION

OUR SEO BLOG http://e-seoteam.blogspot.com

PROMOTIONS: Feel free to use our Promotion Threads ONLY for promotions. All other new promotions will be removed. Do no promote on any other threads and do not start your own promotions threads.

Before even trying to use Google's Keyword Tool, take the time to brainstorm for ideas with friends, family and even post a thread in this forum asking for ideas for different ways to describe your work. It's not always a good idea to ask Etsy sellers since most tend to think like the artist or craftsperson and not a like a shopper.

Once you have a good list to work from, Go to adwords.google.com/select/KeywordToolExternal?forceLegacy=true
(there is more than one Google Adwords Keyword Tool and this is the one I have found to be the most accurate in showing counts)

Enter your list of keywords in the "Word or phrase" box, one keyword phrase per line, such as,
handmade jewelry
handmade gemstone jewelry
sterling silver jewelry

Do not enter anything in the Web site box (this creates a filter that keeps Google from displaying many potential keyword phrases)

Do not enter anything in the Category box.

On the left side, uncheck the Broad Match box, and check the Exact Match box.

Enter the characters shown that verify that you are not a spammer or an automated tool.

Click the Search button.

Posted at 8:15 pm Jan 20, 2012 EST

Highlighted Responses What is this?

Mary from SEOWebDesign says
Highlighted Post Edited on Jan 20, 2012

Part 2:

For each Keyword or Keyword phrase you entered in the "Word or phrase box," Google will display:
Competition - (this is only for Google Adwords and not important unless you are planning on using Google Adwords)
- Number of Global Monthly Searches (this is good to know for Etsy since Etsy sells globally)
- Number of Local Monthly Searches (this is the number in the country you are searching from)

Below the data on your keywords, Google will display a list of up to 100 Keyword Ideas. You should look through this list for other good keyword ideas that you can use in your shop, sections or listings.

Once you compile a second list of good keyword ideas, go back with each keyword phrase that you really like and enter that one alone in the Word or phrase box and check the box for "Only show ideas closely related to my search terms." Look through the new list of keyword ideas to find other potential keyword ideas.

These steps will make more sense when you go through them with your keyword lists.

Plan on spending a few or more hours digging for the best keywords.

Plan on going through these Keyword research every now and then. Practice and experience are the best way to learn how to find great keywords.

Shoppers tend to become very specific in their use of keywords when they are ready to buy. Shoppers might browse for a while through all the necklaces looking for ideas but when ready to buy will use detailed keyword phrases such as,
blue beaded long necklace
peridot stud earrings
vintage 1950s prom dress
letterpress birthday card

Be specific when choosing keywords.

I like to download the keyword lists from Google onto my computer and use Excel to work with the lists. Click the Download button to download to your own computer or open directly with Excel.

Posted at 8:31 pm Jan 20, 2012 EST

Mary from SEOWebDesign says
Highlighted Post
Edited on Jan 20, 2012

Part 2:

Plan on spending a few or more hours digging for the best keywords.

blue beaded long necklace
peridot stud earrings
vintage 1950s prom dress
letterpress birthday card

Be specific when choosing keywords.

Posted at 8:31 pm Jan 20, 2012 EST

Lona B. from PaintedDesignsByLona says
Edited on Jan 26, 2012

Mary, I have a question I could never get Google to understand when I contacted them. When you are looking under the words and you see how many hits a certain word or phrase gets, do you want to choose words that gets the most monthly searches so are considered popular or the fewest monthly searches? If you choose a word among the highest, then wouldn't I be competing against all those other sellers using that word and if I choose one considered in the lower...than I would maybe limiting myself. I never could understand how to use Google to see how my shop or items are doing and my understanding of how to find good words for me to bring in more views to my shop.

It would be so helpful if you could explain in laymen terms which is the best to choose or how that works.

p.s. I was thinking of using adwords and that may be what I was meaning when I said popular was competition also.

Thank you for all that you are doing to help us out here understand!

Lona

Posted at 5:11 pm Jan 26, 2012 EST

Mary from SEOWebDesign says
Edited on Jan 26, 2012

Hi Lona,

Google's Adwords Keyword tool was created primarily for Google Adwords customers. The Competition number is only to show the competition for Adwords Ads, not for natural organic search results. You can ignore the Competition number unless you are planning on running an Adwords Ad campaign.

You can choose any keywords you like but need to keep in mind . . . .

The first half of SEO is content. Content includes keywords and other text on the Web page. The content tells Google what each web pages is about.

The second half of SEO is backlinks. The number and quality of backlinks tells Google WHERE each web site / web page comes up in the search results.

Very popular keyword phrases DO have a lot of Web sites competing for first page search results. Coming up on the first page of search results guarantees a very large number of visitors from Google (and Yahoo and Bing).

The keyword phrases you choose to use depend on how much work you want to put into building backlinks. Backlinks are clickable links on other web sites that lead to your shop.

For a small business, including an Etsy shop, it's usually better to use a more targeted keyword phrase which you seem to be doing in the section names and listings in your shop. Using a more targeted keyword phrase means less competition and you have a better chance of being found on Google. The backlink building project to move up to the first page of search results for that keyword phrase is smaller and more manageable. You will see results faster this way than if you choose very popular and more general keyword phrases.

You can read more about building backlinks here: www.etsy.com/teams/11352/relevancy-and-seo-for-all-etsy-shops/discu...

Posted at 5:31 pm Jan 26, 2012 EST

Thank you for your excellent advise on using google search keywords.

Posted at 3:20 pm Jan 31, 2012 EST

I can't get that link to work.

I get Google Adwords logo and a blank page.

Can anyone help???

Posted at 9:14 am Feb 2, 2012 EST

You know, I THOUGHT I knew alot about this stuff....until now!

Captian- Did you used to work for google?? LOL..

Thank you very much! I just joined the group and have over 20 years marketing experience, and have been a member on ETSY since 07. IN the past year and a half over 700 sales...however, my shop currently is not getting the google juice that it once did...and went in here to find out why. I closed my shop for about 7 months during a cross country move and just re-opened it. What other advice could you give a guy like me directly?? Thanks!

Darin

Posted at 9:24 am Feb 2, 2012 EST

Jenny,

Are you asking about the Google Adwords link?

The link works in both the Firefox Browser and the Internet Explorer browser for me. Which Internet browser are you using and which version?

Posted at 2:08 pm Feb 2, 2012 EST

Darin,

Your use of keywords everywhere in shop is not the best and not working for you either on Etsy or in Google.

Start a new thread on this forum to ask for help with one listing. I will also help you with the shop title.

Posted at 2:10 pm Feb 2, 2012 EST

Yes I am referring to this link from your first posting: adwords.google.com/select/KeywordToolExternal?forceLegacy=true

I have the newest Internet Explorer.

It says loading and then it goes to a page that just has the logo.

Posted at 9:03 am Feb 3, 2012 EST