Task Force Team
Week 7: Marketing & Advertising
Sign in to participate in this discussion.
This discussion is public.
Some general tips for marketing from the Etsy Mentor blog:
"- Have great photos. Most of marketing is a visual experience, make sure your images are the best they can be. Take the time to learn how to get them looking great.
- Choose a marketing style that you are comfortable with. You don't have to be like that pushy sales guy at the car dealership, you can be more subtle and advertise your work with great photos, humor and genuine interest in other people.
- Don't let marketing take over your life. Allot a certain amount of time per day/week to promotions and stick to it.
- Build friendships with those you meet on social networking sites, it is not about the quantity of friends you have but the quality of those relationships that is important.
- Always keep your communications professional. Don't become whiny, rude or argumentative - this will quickly damage all the work you have put into it.
- Once you have built a reputation and people know about you, you don't need to spend so much time on marketing because Word of Mouth will do a lot of the work for you."
There's some interesting marketing on outright:
Half way down this forum post is a list of free places to advertise:
There's also small things you can do, like add your Etsy shop to your email signature. And there's a way to add actual listings to your email signature:
If you make jewelry wearing your items is a free way to advertise
Business cards are a form of marketing, I get mine from moo.com, but vistaprints have cheaper ones.
Posted at 9:09 pm Apr 9, 2012 EDT