Direct Checkout Sales Tax options

Direct Checkout has the following requirements:

Sellers must be using direct checkout to join.

Oh, good grief. I hate to say it, but I think this just shows there are some laws you just have to break, while still doing the best you can.

Posted at 7:20pm Jun 16, 2012 EDT

What are California sellers doing with sales tax and DC? Anyone have any good ideas? Thanks for the help!

Posted at 8:13pm Jun 16, 2012 EDT

Hi everyone,
At the moment, the best way to address this would be to charge the highest amount for NY and then refund buyers who are in a lesser amount zip code (since refunds work well). Being able to input tax rates by county is something on our radar, but until then, this might be the easiest way to address this.

Camilla

Posted at 3:08pm Jun 18, 2012 EDT

Carol -- Is there a problem with DC and CA sales tax? I have not done anything different! Gosh everyone, I though CA sales tax was a nightmare, and I don't see why the NY Board of Equalization or whatever they are called, should care who pays the tax, as long as it's paid. I mean, what if there's a legitimate error, you don't contact the customer 6 months down the road and ask for more tax.

Posted at 6:32pm Jun 18, 2012 EDT

I haven't had a California sale yet with DC, but I'm still not clear on how we add the sales tax to the the DC invoice? John.n.Deni, how are you doing it? Or anyone else?

Thanks for the help!

Carol

Posted at 9:20pm Jun 18, 2012 EDT

Camilla - sales tax in NYS really needs to be by county where the item is delivered. In the near future that is going to be even more important as the USPS goes through all the proposed changes. NYS does require the sales tax to be based by county not by ZIP Code.

Posted at 8:55am Jun 19, 2012 EDT

Thank you, Camilla, for letting us know we're on your radar. I'm pleased to know that this may be something available in the future... I just hope it's the near future if possible. There are lots of us who would really like to be able to do this an accurate way based on the state, and at this point it's not really possible at all.

I've heard from some people that are charging the average 8% sales tax in the state, but that's still not quite according to the laws (and Last Ditch Laura, you're so right... it's just not all that comforting to know that we have no alternative until this issue is really addressed directly)

Posted at 10:01am Jun 19, 2012 EDT