Etsy Plus Size Welcome!

Etsy Plus Size has the following requirements:

Anyone who sells size 14 and up clothing handmade or vintage, and is willing to try and occasionally promo other sellers in this group.
Sellers and people who are plus size and would like to network and support plus size etsy shops.

Do you think having an actual model in pics for plus size clothing is better?

Posted at 9:01am Apr 24, 2012 EDT

I personally think so its is so hard to tell what something looks like on a mannequin since they are never really shaped like an actual human being. I can at least look at someone in the clothing and see how their shape compares to my shape.

Posted at 2:07pm Apr 24, 2012 EDT

its tough to know what the public wants, because everyone has their own opinion.
some people like to see dresses on a mannequin because it makes the picture simple. some people don't like seeing the dress that they would potentially buy on an actual person because of their own hang ups.
it's like they love the idea of vintage clothing but don't want to think that someone else wore it!
i like seeing the dress on a model because it is easier to compare and because it adds a little fun to the picture.
i use a dressform when i don't have the time to do a whole shoot and wait for the pictures.
i do like the look of shops that use just a dressform or a mannequin. it makes the shop look cleaner.
my shop is a crazy mixed up array of models and dressforms, but somehow it works!

Posted at 7:17am Apr 25, 2012 EDT

i know, from personal experience in my own shop, that my sales finally took off when i started posting pictures of myself in the dresses i sell. obviously i'm not a great model or anything, but i think possibly just showing a plus sized woman as a "model" gives a positive statement, which lets plus sized customers feel good.

Posted at 6:58pm Apr 26, 2012 EDT

Erin: I totally agree!

Although, there's a part of me that also thinks that showing size 4 dresses on size 4 models or dummies, then selling plus-sized versions of these designs, has to work too, since items of this type have such high sales figures ... or maybe that's just the grouchy, anti-advertising-baloney, riots-not-diets side of me talking.

Posted at 4:18pm Apr 28, 2012 EDT

thanks for your feedback everyone, I have seen some sexy and beautiful plus size models on etsy and I too LOVE seeing size 14 and up clothing on models who wear our sizes. I only have a few pics of me wearing the clothing but indeed I have to start to get more. I will have to find someone to snap some shots.

Posted at 8:57pm Apr 30, 2012 EDT

I understand that people wouldn't want to see the clothes on models because of the someone wore it before them. But thats not really fair since I wash everything after it's modeled. >.> I love to see my clothes on models and a variety of plus body types because when I buy things I want to be able to see my self in that dress or shirt.

Posted at 11:44pm May 22, 2012 EDT

I'm new to the team :)

I think a person is better, but people vary such a lot that in some things it may hinder and not help.

Posted at 8:48pm May 26, 2012 EDT

Just joined and I design and make plus size swimsuits. I use plus size models all the time and prefer it!

Posted at 12:26pm May 27, 2012 EDT

Carol says

I just joined the team. All items in my shop can be made in plus size. Just feel excited to find this team!

Posted at 1:36am May 28, 2012 EDT