BNR/BNS Convos more than welcome How did you get into your craft?

BNR/BNS Convos more than welcome has the following requirements:

Hi!

My remember both my grandmothers doing crochet. They were very well known in their villages in Europe for being amazing artists. I'm very proud of them and proud to carry on their craft. My Grandmothers sister taught me to make my first chain when I was 9. I didn't pick up the hook again till last year! Reason....I needed a scarf for a gift for a friend...thought...shoot...I don't need to PAY THAT! I can crochet it! I did...and I haven't put down the hook ever since! :0)

I also am the mother of 5, care taker of 1 dog, 20-ish fish, and 1 husband. Living in Sunny California :0)

Posted at 3:48 pm Jun 22, 2012 EDT

@Cindy, I don't know if there are fish in it. It is a small lake, and in Powell River, we usually go ocean fishing because we are right there. There are tons of lakes too though and I am sure that some of them have fish too

Posted at 7:47 pm Jun 22, 2012 EDT

Postcrossing of all things!

Posted at 10:58 pm Jun 25, 2012 EDT

I LOVE what I do with a passion and I thank God for the odd circumstances that brought me to where I am now. I was recovering from a neck fusion surgery and my husband happened to send an E-mail home to me from Entrepreneur magazine on the top 20 stay at home jobs for moms. He said he could see me doing one of two of them. One was basket making and the other soap making. I sort of scoffed at it and went on reading my E-mails. Somehow that E-mail kept bugging me so a couple of weeks later, I went back to REALLY read it and the soap making sparked an interested in my house-bound, bored self. So, I had my husband drive me to our local craft store (I was still on meds and healing from surgery) and bought the basics to make a few small soaps. I got to work and made some lollipops, pumpkins, fall soaps since it was Oct/Nov. I then gave them out to friends and family who really were impressed with my first time attempt and said I should go bigger! So from there, I did my research (being an RN and have gone to medical school for a year) I found out that there is a LOT of science involved and was overjoyed that I had found something that could combine my love of crafting with my love of science. From there, it just took off and I became incorporated in November of 2010 as Kristi's Klean Kreations.

Posted at 7:59 am Aug 29, 2012 EDT

What a cool thread! My friend's mom taught us to crochet when I was 8. I was already quite the pencil/crayon artist - everyone wanted me to draw something for them. I enjoyed lots of time with paints, too. I guess I didn't make my first jewelry til maybe 5th grade, but it's been non-stop from then on. :) I'm just glad we have a place to sell it!

Posted at 5:32 pm Sep 2, 2012 EDT

I think I came out of my mom with a paintbrush, pencil and glue stick in hand =). I have loved to create for as long as I can remember. My mother and grandmother both painted in there earlier years so I came from a creative family. My fathers side is more analytical. So I get my precision and persistence from him. The first time I ever went into Michael's, I bought the supplies for oil painting and painted my first tiger (on my wall, not in my shop) and once I found etsy, I couldn't be stopped.

Posted at 2:47 pm Sep 3, 2012 EDT

i always made stuff. my mom had some seed beads when i was a small kid and i remember making necklaces. my grandma had a bunch of crafting books from the seventies so i learned how to crochet, knit, sew, do needlepoint, macrame, mosaics, basic beadwork etc. All sorts of techniques, everything i could learn from those books

in my teens i mostly painted (both mom and grandma are painters) and designed clothes. was not that bad at it (my designs got picked for a miss sport pageant)

but making actual clothes was impossible due to high costs and no resources so i switched to jewelry. that was almost 15 years ago :)

and here we are now :D

Posted at 6:20 am Sep 19, 2012 EDT

My sister and I started creating when we were young. There was clay on our grandparents farm and our Mom showed us how to mix the clay with water, let it bake in the sun and get hard. Those clay pies were our first clay experiences. We come from a creative family so that has a lot to do with everything that we now do.

Posted at 1:25 pm Dec 9, 2014 EST