Social Media Marketing for Etsy A-Z
How to shorten your Facebook URL
Sign in to participate in this discussion.
This discussion is public.
Does your FB page have a long, unwieldy url full of numbers and characters that you don’t understand?
This is bad for:
- brand building
- sharing the link with others
- SEO (Search Engine Optimization)
Plus, it looks ugly and non-professional.
Example of GOOD url: facebook.com/OrangeTwig
Example of BAD url: facebook.com//#!/pages/OrangeTwig/1234567890?ref=mf
Here’s how you can change your url:
1. Choose a simple username e.g. Facebook.com/YourCompanyName.
2. Go to www.facebook.com/username
3. You will dee a drop-down menu listing all the pages that you are an admin of. Choose the one you want to change.
4. You will see a box asking you to ‘Choose desired username’.
5. Enter your company name and click ‘Check availability’ button.
6. If the username you want is already taken, consider changing is slightly e.g. Add the word ‘onEtsy’ after your company name.
7. You will get a pop-up window asking you to confirm the name change. Click ‘Confirm’ button.
Congrats, you have a new url! :)
- You can only change your url ONCE so be make sure you choose wisely
- You can only change your Facebook page url if it has more than 25 ‘likes’
- You can only change the url for Facebook pages that you are the admin of
- If you want to shorten your url even further, you can use the urls ‘fb.com’ or ‘fb.me’ instead of facebook.com.
e.g. Once I have the url facebook.com/OrangeTwig, I can use the url ‘fb.com/OrangeTwig’ or ‘fb.me/OrangeTwig’ for my page.
To make it more clear: fb.me = fb.com = facebook.com
- Use capitalization in your company name to make it stand out. This will not affect how the url is typed, only how it is displayed. So, if I entered ‘OrangeTwig’ (with capitalization) as my username while editing my url, I can now type in fb.me/orangetwig (all small letters) - and this will automatically redirect me to facebook.com/OrangeTwig (with capitalization).
Whew! That turned out to be a longer post than I thought! Hope it was helpful :)
Posted at 5:39 am Apr 17, 2013 EDT
Updated post with pics on how to shorten your URL: orangetwig.com/blog/how-to-shorten-your-facebook-url-username?ref=s
Posted at 6:49 am Jul 22, 2013 EDT