Etsy Success I need your opinions on... Product Photography

Etsy Success has the following requirements:

This team is dedicated to sharing small business advice in a supportive environment. Please do not share social medial links, Treasuries, new item listings, calls for entries or submissions in the Etsy Success Forum, unless you are sharing or asking for small business advice. As a team member, you must be a seller who is ready to learn and participate. Thank you!

Subscribe to the Etsy Success newsletter here: http://www.etsy.com/emails/success

Kay S from elitestreet says
Edited on Jun 17, 2012

I've always been into photography and have done it on the side, and recently made the move to make it a job. I have made a new listing for my product photography, but I am so lost on pricing.

I did a rudimentary price chart on the listing, then checked what other Etsy-ians are offering and for what price. Most want around $15 for one item with only 1 to 3 photos, which I find a bit much.

If you could, take a look at my listing. Does having a lower price make you want to buy, or not take my photography skills seriously? I think $15 is highway robbery, but I guess I could come up a little without feeling completely guilty for asking more. Maybe.

Also, I'd like to know if the photos included show a wide enough range of my abilities and the models I have available. I recently did a product shoot for a fellow Etsy-er, which I used for some of the model photos.

Basically, critique my listing?

Please and thank you.

www.etsy.com/listing/102227834/custom-product-photography-services-...

Posted at 5:54 pm Jun 17, 2012 EDT

BeaG from WilliamsGiftshop says
Edited on Jun 17, 2012

Eh... professional photography for only $15 (several photo's) is robbery?
For the photographer you mean (I hope)!

Sorry, did not have a look at your listing.
It will be cheap, no doubt.

Posted at 5:57 pm Jun 17, 2012 EDT

I think my prices are fair, not cheap. Others I have chatted to agreed that $15 for less than a full set is a bit much. But I guess if you have a very loyal following, who really love your style, they don't mind paying so much.

I just wanted to know what other shop owners thought about my listing, since I'm entering a completely new market and my own opinion is biased.

Posted at 6:00 pm Jun 17, 2012 EDT

Did you ever ask a professional photographer (= someone that takes photos for money, like you are going to do) about their prices?

And that photographer is not going to send your items back (after they photographed them) for free either....

Posted at 6:10 pm Jun 17, 2012 EDT

Most photographers I looked at don't send items back for free, either.

I am professional (studio and all). I've been doing portrait and landscape photography for ages. I'm new to doing products, though, but really, its essentially the same as portrait, especially when models are involved.

Maybe I just picked a bad time to ask for a constructive criticism. :)

Posted at 6:22 pm Jun 17, 2012 EDT

I also added photos of past items (sans models) for examples of that, if anyone would have suggested that.

Always wanting to improve, so suggestions are always welcome, nice or not.

Posted at 6:39 pm Jun 17, 2012 EDT

Tanya Harrison from TanyaHarrisonPhoto says
Edited on Jun 17, 2012

I would look at what other product photographers in your area are charging. Any professional would laugh at $5 or even $15. Every product photography session I've ever seen from a professional photographer has been over $100 at the low end. As a customer, seeing someone charging only $5 would make me wonder what kind of equipment you have and what the quality of the photos would be because it's so inexpensive.

Remember, you're not just charging for the photo, you're charging for your time, the cost of and wear on your equipment, the model's time if you're using a model (since I see that mentioned in your listing), etc. I can't see how $5 would make it worth the time it would take you to deal with the customer, set up your gear, take the photos, and edit the photos since your listing says it includes Photoshop retouching at no extra cost. You are severely undervaluing yourself.

Posted at 8:23 pm Jun 17, 2012 EDT

$5 isn't the cost. That is just for the information listing (which isn't mean to be bought). Prices are listed in the description per item, but even then it's on the cheaper side still.

It doesn't take me much time to do a quality job, and my models do it to build their portfolios not for money, so I don't feel that I need to charge hundreds of dollars. I have a DSLR, studio, lighting, etc. High price doesn't always mean high quality, unfortunately.

Editing is seriously easy, so I don't think it should be an extra cost. Plus, what photographer would ever let one of their photos out unedited? No respectable photographer I know.

I appreciate the feedback, really. But I'd like some feedback on things other than the price. I'm not going to raise my prices. At least, not until my demand is so high that I need to.

Should I explain in my listing why my price is so affordable? Or is that a waste of time and breath?

Posted at 8:58 pm Jun 17, 2012 EDT

It sounds low to me. I wouldnt think of it as a good deal. It would make me wonder why you would charge so low for the time! I think you could come up quite a bit. Try it out and see how it goes.

Posted at 9:01 pm Jun 17, 2012 EDT

Hi Kay,
I've been doing photography for years as well. I know you don't want to hear more about your prices but I have to agree with everyone else. If you want to make money from photography you're going to have to raise those prices for people to take you seriously.
Now you're saying that you have a studio and equipment, why not show photos of your models in the studio with as well. So that it shows studio and location. Some of your models aren't wearing anything as far as products. You might want to show off that product on a model. For example, have your oldest model wearing a necklace or something and make that the focal point. I would think that you want to draw people into the picture and make them want to wear that item. So to answer your question, I don't think that your listing shows a wide enough range. Definitely add photos of your models in the studio. Use available natural light and a fill light.
I don't know if you should put why your prices are so inexpensive or not.
I hope this helps.