Cleveland Handmade Avant-Garde Arts and Crafts Show

Cleveland Handmade is a moderated team with the following requirements:

We are a local Northeast Ohio team open to artists and craftspeople who live and create in and around Cleveland, Ohio.

Membership Requirements

1. You must conduct your business ethically: treat your customers well and respect your fellow artists.

2. You must respect other Cleveland Handmade members. We have built a team we are proud of, and we cherish our camaraderie and our quiet oasis in what can be the Wild West of the Etsy forums.

3. You must supply a working email address at which you can be contacted, and you must sign up for our team email list and agree to continue receiving the periodic email. It's the only way we have to reach all of our members. If you unsubscribe, we'll remove you from the team.

I'll be at Avante-Garde in April and at Oddmall in May. I look forward to seeing you all there!

Posted at 11:49 pm Feb 28, 2012 EST

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone can give me their viewpoint on something pertaining to this show. I was sent an invitation to partake. When I read over the hold harmless agreement I was a little confused and could not get a satisfactory clarification. The way my husband read it (he's an attny.) Avant - Garde was requesting that I provide insurance that would cover Avant - Garde and any of it's employees for any and all legal matters pertaining to the show even if I had no personal involvement or negligence in the matter. I had never come across a hold harmless agreement that was so broad and decided not to except the invitation. I would really appreciate if someone would give me a little feedback on their view and how they are handling this request.

Thanks so much!

Posted at 11:23 am Apr 2, 2012 EDT

Jessica
I first saw a Hold Harmless thing when I first started doing shows. It was for "Twins Day" I actually contacted my insurance agent and we both decided that the only thing that could happend on my end was if a plate fell on them or something. And if the customer wanted to sue me, Twins Day would be off the hook. Since I am doing it again this year, when I read your post I checked and I do have to sign it again. But again, unless my plates fall on someone..I actually think Twins Day does it more for the food vendors in case someone gets sick or something.

Posted at 11:34 am Apr 2, 2012 EDT

Thanks Sandie,
I understand what you're saying and agree with you. That's how I've aways looked at the agreements and signed them. For some reason Avant - Garde's agreement reads differently. I'm sure they cannot hold a vendor responsible for the shows negligence but it's their requiring the vendor to defend the matter. I'm a little uncomfortable putting myself in that position. Theoretically it could become a hassle.

Thanks again!

Posted at 12:45 pm Apr 2, 2012 EDT

I always follow the "When in doubt, throw it out" rule.
So I would probably do the same thing you are.

Posted at 12:51 pm Apr 2, 2012 EDT

Jessica - I'm with you, I had never seen one worded that way. I showed it to a lawyer friend and he came up with the same conclusion as your husband. He advised me to pass. We had a mutual friend who did ceramics and years ago, he found himself in quite a mess because of a poorly written Hold Harmless agreement. It took him time and a lots of money to finally get it straightened out. Because of that, I always have the contracts and agreements looked at before I decide to do a show.

Posted at 2:34 pm Apr 2, 2012 EDT

Another thing to consider, that is if your really want to do the show but the contract is to iffy. Tell the organizers your concerns. It just might simply be that the wording is just weird. Ask them if you can cross the things out that make you uncomfortable, They have contacted me a number of times but I just haven't been able to do one of their shows. But they do seem like nice people.
I kind of had to finagle things when I first started organizing the Monarch Show. Monarch is part of a huge agency and they had their legal department involved with the contract and every officer and their brother do the what ifs? Even what if someone got sick from the food for the vendors.... I was like..seriously? They even made sure a security guard was present. But after the first year, they were like okay we don't need to be involved anymore.

Posted at 3:25 pm Apr 2, 2012 EDT

I'll be at Oddmall AND at the Avant Garde shows! If you're there, please stop by and say HI to me too! I love seeing/meeting people!

Posted at 6:26 pm Apr 2, 2012 EDT

oops, I guess I said that already.

Posted at 6:28 pm Apr 2, 2012 EDT

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Posted at 11:34 pm Apr 3, 2012 EDT