OlympiaEtsyTeam The events of the last week

OlympiaEtsyTeam is a moderated team with the following requirements:

Any etsy shop owner who lives in Olympia, WA or the surrounding areas(we have a few members from Elma, Yelm Chehalis etc.) and is willing to meet our minimum participation requirements.

We are an active team, we learn a lot from each other and we would love to have you join us!

I am not trying to stir up trouble, but after the Bali Boat debacle I was wondering if anyone was thinking of moving on. I have reserved a shop name on 3 other sites as a result of the whole mess.

I am such a new member and I really like this team so I am not quick to move on. But I am also a new seller and do not have a lot invested in this venue so moving is a consideration.

Anyone have comments? I would love to hear them.

Carol

Posted at 7:55 pm Apr 28, 2012 EDT

I would love to comment, but I have no idea as to what you're talking about Carol. What's going on with Etsy?

Posted at 1:18 am Apr 29, 2012 EDT

I found this and so I will begin reading, but if you have more specific links I would love to know about them
:http://delectablydiva.blogspot.com/2012/04/follow-up-to-of-bali-boats-scallywags.html
Thanks so much.

Posted at 1:21 am Apr 29, 2012 EDT

I cannot elaborate a lot as there have been many people that have been muted or shops closed due to calling out. I would be happy to respond via email or at the next meeting. I will post a few links to things that should not get me into trouble but give anyone that does not regularly visit the forums some information.

www.regretsy.com/2012/04/25/no-you-cease-and-desist/
www.regretsy.com/2012/04/24/update-ecologica-malibu/
www.etsy.com/blog/news/2012/notes-from-chad-6/
www.etsy.com/teams/7716/announcements/discuss/10182001/page/1/

Posted at 12:11 pm Apr 29, 2012 EDT

Well, if we are not actually talking about the shop, but the situation, then we shouldn't get banned, so let's keep it to what we want to do with OUR shops.

I'm sorry, but this may be really blunt(I am not good at sugar coating), but if you are going to be a business, not a hobby, then you will need to grow a thicker skin.

I have been on etsy selling for many years now, and I have seen this a few dozen times. Etsy does something that we don't like, people get pissed and think it's the end of the world, some leave, and some of us just keep focusing on our businesses. Most of the people that leave will come back soon, as etsy has the most traffic by far, and your sales will likely drop off at the other sites.

Being in the wedding category, I know a little something about resellers here on etsy, and I can tell you that it always has, and always will be a problem. It's also a pretty big problem over at artfire where I also have a shop. Granted, artfire did remove some items I flagged, but others they didn't, so I would say they are a small step above etsy as far as getting rid of resale products.

I think you should still pay attention, and do what you can to get etsy to do the right thing, but try not to overreact while in the heat of the moment. I have been SUPER mad at some of the things etsy has done in the past, and when that happens, I put on my 'business owner's' hat and think like the business owner I am.

Now, as far as opening shops on other sites, yes you should! You should not be relying on any one site for 100% of your income(Don't keep all your eggs in one basket). You should be selling locally, on etsy, on artfire, your own site, wholesale etc., that is IF you are a business. Only you can decide if you want to have a business mindset or a hobby mindset.

Anyways, that is just my 2 cents and I think this is definitely something to be discussed at the meeting, so I will add it to the agenda.

Posted at 1:26 pm Apr 29, 2012 EDT

______________________________________________________
Good words Jennifer.

Posted at 1:32 pm Apr 29, 2012 EDT

Hi Carol, I was so happy to meet you yesterday at the Art Walk craft show. We only sold 3 dresses, and 1 was to a neighbor friend of ours who attended. Lost a $150 quilt sale since we don't take credit cards.Sure hope the Olyteam craft fair in May is much better promoted and successful. How'd you do with you sales? I don't know anything of the debacle you speak of, but hope to see you again at the May 5th meeting. Carol

Posted at 2:02 pm Apr 29, 2012 EDT

Like Jennifer said, branching out is good especially if you have the time to maintain and promote it all. I have seen some upsetting things within Etsy too and am one that ended up coming back because the best traffic is here.

Posted at 3:07 pm Apr 29, 2012 EDT

Good thoughtful post Jennifer. The only company that made me mad beyond repair was ebay--it seemed like month after month they created new ways to make it difficult for sellers and 4 years later I don't regret leaving :]. But you know what? I still shop there...

I am one who needs to work more on selling outside etsy and niche shows. I have been looking into Bigcartel for my digital content because they have a sister service who will automatically deliver the content to customers--no mass emailing on my part. :] But I don't plan on leaving etsy any time soon--this would be in addition to.

Posted at 5:06 pm Apr 29, 2012 EDT