Aspiring Metalsmiths a bit discouraged about ring sizing...

Aspiring Metalsmiths is a moderated team with the following requirements:

We have changed the team to an INVITE ONLY format. If you'd like to join, please read the minimum requirements below, if you meet the requirements, just contact the captain or a leader and ask to join!!! We hope this way we will be able to keep the membership to those really interested in learning and sharing with our wonderful group.

We really appreciate your interest in joining the Aspiring Metals Team.

No way do I ever suggest a 1/2 size increase for a wide band- 1/4 at the most. I wear loads of wide and rings and most are just my normal size- and I do use inside diameter to determine that.
Mary Anne- I have to say, that confused the H out of me. I make a boat load of ring and multiples and I have had very few returns for sizing compared to the number I've sold. I'll just stick with my mandrel sizing.

Posted at 8:39pm Jun 1, 2012 EDT

That's interesting that you say that Pennee...when i make a cigar band ring it is definitely a 1/2 size larger. In my tutorial for making that type of ring it also says to do 1/2 size larger. But I can see1/4 in for a typical wide band working well. When I make the stackables with a wide band PLUS two thin bands 1/4 of an inch seems a bit tight.

Posted at 9:45pm Jun 1, 2012 EDT

I've got pudgy little fingers....I make my own wide bands about 1/2 to 3/4 bigger than I'd wear for a 3mm band.

I'm also sorry that I don't have a better explanation of the "center" sizing....I'll see if I can find a link....I had it explained really well in an article I read....it was for 10mm wide bands and up.

Posted at 10:05pm Jun 1, 2012 EDT

Pennee, where do you read the size? Where the edge of the ring contacts the mandrel, or in the middle of the ring?

For sure I wear a half size larger in a wide band. I can't wear the same size wide band as thin band because of the shape of my fingers. They are skinniest right at the base.

Posted at 10:19pm Jun 1, 2012 EDT

Diane from Petaluna says

I'll second Mary Anne's question - on a band as wide as half an inch, am I looking at the line the bottom edge of the ring band hits the mandrel to determine the size? It seems like that would be the case, and yet I think I'd find a true-to-size wide band a little too snug. Tight rings freak me out a little, I'm always worried I won't be able to get them off.

Posted at 10:41pm Jun 1, 2012 EDT

For wide bands I size them on my mandrel so that the center of the width of the ring rests on the size I want. The widest band I've made is 8mm's and I size it up 1/2 a size otherwise they're impossible to get on and off. For stacks of rings 3 to 4 deep (about 8mm's together) I size up 1/4 of a size because people often want to be able to wear them individually as well. Also, if they're a little snug going over your knuckle you just put them on one at a time and once they're all on they fit. This system has worked well for me so far.

Posted at 10:51pm Jun 1, 2012 EDT

This is really interesting. Mary Anne, I'm like Lilian, I center size. Bit even the 1/2 inch wide spinner rings, I only do 1/4 size bigger for myself and with that anticlastic forming, I feel it does squeeze tighter so I may even do a bit bigger.

I have made ring sets up to 4 or 5 rings and done them all right at size and the people are fine with them. Every darn time I size up 1/4 size, I get a message that they tip or if they wear one alone it's too loose.
It really is odd we each do something a bit different.

I don't think I'm sure what a cigar band ring is- but I do make just a plain hammered 18 gauge band in my shop that I sell at 3/8 - 1/2 inch wide- I wear a 7.25 and that's what I usually do as a template for anything- the one in my shop fits fine. Maybe I have weird fingers

Posted at 5:28pm Jun 2, 2012 EDT

Diane from Petaluna says

Good info! I think I will start aiming for that center measurement. That sounds right to me for wide bands. And also good info about the stacking rings being made true to size, that makes sense, because people want to wear them alone sometimes. Now I am really in the mood to make some stackers! ;)

Posted at 2:17pm Jun 3, 2012 EDT

eugh.. I've always measured centre measurement for wide rings... And have always suggested 1/4 or 1/2 sizes bigger than norm for rings wider than 6mm.
So if you're a size 6 I would make sure your ring measures 6.25 or 6.5 in the middle of ring on the mandrel. Never any issues with that..

But just today got asked to reduce size of a custom ring I did. The groom was sized by 2 jewelry shops as a size S. So I made his ring a S1/4. And it's too loose as he said it hangs on his knuckle. ho hum..

I guess everyones fingers are different and everyone prefers a different fit!

Posted at 11:58am Jul 2, 2012 EDT

I've always measured where the bottom of the ring hits the size, then flip the ring on the mandrel lightly hammering it down to the same size. Both edges are the same.

If a ring is truly a size 7 on the mandrel but fits a size 6.5, I list it as 'fits a size 6.5'.

I must be lucky because I've never once had a return on a ring to be sized!

Posted at 2:25am Aug 21, 2012 EDT