Resin Crafters Resin on Ceramic Tiles

Resin Crafters has the following requirements:

I've been working with making coasters and putting a resin coat on top. I have tried a lot of different methods and nothing is ever fail proof. I was wondering if anyone knows the best way to seal a tile, so there are no leaks, bubbles along the side, or trapped air bubbles. Sometimes my method below works & sometimes it doesn't. Has anyone tried using the outdoor mod podge? or could recommend another sealer before the resin?

My latest formula is:
print on matte photo paper with an inkjet printer
spray glue with Super 77 to the tile (gluing it down wet was so messy and time consuming)
apply 2 coats of mod podge - one in each direction (let dry for several hours or overnight - I have also tried Elmer's glue)
apply Envirotex resin
use a heat gun to remove air bubbles
cover & let dry

Posted at 9:48 pm Nov 26, 2012 EST

I don't think you can - thats what kilns are for! Other methods are more vulnerable... thats my experience anyway....

Posted at 5:25 pm Nov 27, 2012 EST

I would do more than 2 coats of mod podge, on my images i tend to do about 5-6 coats.

Posted at 2:53 am Nov 28, 2012 EST

karamae from karamae says

if you're printing the image and the tile behind it is white I wouldn't seal the photo at all, I would coat the entire image front and back, so it gets soaked in resin, then adhere it to the tile, then put the thicker layer on top of that

Posted at 1:16 pm Nov 28, 2012 EST

i use to not seal the tile at all with mod podge but the resin when applied directly onto the printed image makes it bleed slightly. so i started sealing it so the colors are really rich and sharp. also the resin yellowed my whites a little bit when applied directly. but it is an interesting thought to coal the back and use it as an adhesive. i've never tried that.

i'm in the experimentation process again, and i'm trying outdoor mod podge. it's a lot thicker than the normal one. so curious to see what happens.

Posted at 3:42 pm Nov 28, 2012 EST

karamae from karamae says

ah.. when I made tiles I used laser images so they didn't bleed and stayed pretty vivid (white tiles only)

Posted at 4:56 pm Nov 28, 2012 EST

yeah i'm printing from an inkjet, putting them on white tiles. i read somewhere that glossy paper may be different than printing on matte, so may experiment with that.

Posted at 11:14 pm Nov 28, 2012 EST

I actually made 2 sets of these for a friend (with wedding photos)

I printed the images with an inkjet printer - used matte photo paper.

I used Nunn Design Sealant on the back of the photo to glue it to the white tile. I had gloves on so not to be sticky and also so I could press the photo down. It stuck immediately and there was no overflow.

Next, I covered the image with 1 layer of Nunn Design Sealant. I used a big brush so it would go faster. Let dry.

I used my normal resin (Rio Grande 2 part resin) and first just poured a blob in the center, then used a popsicle stick to slowly spread the resin to a very thin layer over the photo.

There were tiny bubbles only - took a straw, blew over the photo and they were no bubbles or imperfections.

Covered while they dried.

I made an extra set and used them for a display during a couple shows -- lots of people asked if I could make them sets. It's not really my thing so I said no -- but there is a market for it for sure.

Posted at 1:59 pm Nov 30, 2012 EST

Thanks Hope for all the info. I've never heard of Nunn Design Sealant but it sounds good. I've only used Envirotex LIte resin and then started using their Ultra Seal as the sealant.

I tried Martha Stewart's decoupage but there were wet leaks. The Outdoor Mod Podge had wet leaks too, although I didn't allow for it to dry for the recommended 72hrs. But what was interesting is the technical support for Mod Podge told me that I shouldn't be using an Ink Jet printer or Matte Photo paper. So it's good to know that you had success with it.

I have gotten a good response with the tiles, however, it is a tricky process to do well. I'm going to look up the other products you mentioned.

Did you have any problems with the paper rippling? Also was it a thick or thin photo paper?

Posted at 11:26 pm Nov 30, 2012 EST

Hi Laurie,
I have never had a problem with the paper ripping. For photo paper - I use Ilford Gallerie photo paper. I use both the lustre and gloss papers. They are more expensive than others but they produce the best results. You can get it on Amazon, but there are other places that sell it. I try to find the cheapest price (including shipping) and buy from there.

I don't know about Envirotex resin, but I think others in the team use it without issues.

I don't use Mod Podge for anything simply because I like Nunn better. I tend to make a lot of designs that are a very light color without a lot of detail to hide any flaws. Example are silhouettes or single letters against a really light background. The slightest imperfection shows.

I like your designs very much!! Very cool :D