Etsy Knitters Do you use cirular needles?

Etsy Knitters is a moderated team with the following requirements:

The only prerequisite to join is that you have an Etsy store with 25% dedicated to the craft of knitting. So grab your needles, yarn and pull up a chair. We are here to share knowledge, discuss both the business and pleasure sides of knitting, and promote knitting in Etsy and elsewhere. We must all be smiling KNIT-friends!

Every time I knit in the round I used DPNs.
1., because I am lazy - I know I'd have to go down to them eventually, so why not start there?
and 2. because I am cheap - I don't want to have to buy a whole new set of needles

Am I missing out? If you prefer circulars, why? Should I move to the dark side?

Posted at 9:12 pm Apr 25, 2012 EDT

You should definitely move to the dark side!

I actually switched over to mostly circulars, except when too small (like at the top of a hat) and I have to use DPNs. I NEVER use straight needles anymore.

I knit a lot faster on circulars (especially vs. DPNs) and they feel lighter and easier on my hands than most other types. The longer lengths also really good for larger projects like afghans.
I have full sets of bamboo circulars in two different lengths and love them! You are definitely missing out!

Posted at 9:47 pm Apr 25, 2012 EDT

I hate DPN's... they always fall out on me. Circular are the way to go for hats and toys. Lots faster -AND- no icky seams at the end.

Posted at 7:33 am Apr 26, 2012 EDT

Mary from skrapyram says

I don't have a problem using DPNs when I need to, but I love circulars. I use them most of the time instead of straight needles. That way I don't have to keep looking for the second needle every time I get up from my chair!

Posted at 10:02 am Apr 26, 2012 EDT

Mel from Cuteling says

I loooove knitting hats on circular needles! soo much more comfortable and faster ... I too often keep losing DPNs, I even bought bamboo DPNs because they don't slide out of the knitting like the metal ones do.

My mom is really good at knitting socks with DPNs, must be years and years of practice :)

Posted at 10:54 am Apr 26, 2012 EDT

Circulars are so much easier, and much harder to lose stitches on.

Even when I'm doing a hat and it gets to small, I'll switch to magic loop before DPNs.

DPNs are still great for Icords though.

Posted at 11:04 am Apr 26, 2012 EDT

If I'm traveling with a piece of knitting that will fit on circulars--or a piece that I'm knitting flat--then I definitely go with the circs; the stitches have fewer chances to go flying off the ends of a circ when it's time to stuff the knitting into my bag. And for big things like shawls, I find that circs are much easier to handle than super-long, Shetland-style DPNs. All that said, I love the feel of DPNs in my hands, and now that I'm knitting almost everything in 1/3 or 1/4 scale, I hardly ever use anything else.

Posted at 12:44 pm Apr 26, 2012 EDT

Love circulars too. There always is a little space in the finished product where I change needles when I use dpns. Guess my tension is wrong.

Posted at 5:05 pm Apr 26, 2012 EDT

Interesting.. I just knit up a hat with a circular for the first time (I always use DPNs) but I found that it put added stress in my hand - I wonder why?

For some reason I like working with DPNs - I just hate when I have a larger project and the stitches keep falling off ..

One of the issues I have with circulars is that you have to buy several lengths of each size. Is there a way to get around this? I have a hard time keeping all the needles I have organized as it is.

Posted at 7:54 pm Apr 26, 2012 EDT

I got a set of interchangeable circular needles for my birthday and I love them. I do almost everything on circular now. I am currently making socks using the magic loop method and I love it!! I use this method with all my circular projects.

Posted at 10:18 pm Apr 26, 2012 EDT