Polymer Clay Baking polymer clay on a light bulb?

Polymer Clay has the following requirements:

Open to anyone who works with polymer clay. Our mission is to join together a free community of polymer clay artists. There are no fees, no schedules, just like-minded artists. Our mission is to create a comfortable, laid-back environment where you can get help, share tips, ask questions and support or promote each other. No nudity or profanity please.

Sevdalina from WindySunset says
Edited on Nov 3, 2011

Hello, I need some advice here :)
I watched a video on youtube about baking polymer clay on light bulb (to get a sort of a '3D' look), but I have a few questions and I'd be glad if anyone can answer:
- is it safe to bake a light bulb in a domestic oven? (Nothing dangerous happened in the video, but I just want to make sure) Do I need to take some 'extra' precautions?
- is the clay going to stick to the bulb?

Thanks in advance :)

Posted at 5:38pm Nov 3, 2011 EDT

I've never had anything bad happen by baking light bulbs in the oven. I have made Christmas ornaments by covering burnt out light bulbs with polymer clay . If you are using the bulb to get a curve on your piece, then it should pop right off the bulb after baking. I've done that too, but the clay will get shiny spots during baking. You could always dust the bulb with baby powder or corn starch and then it won't stick at all. Good luck!

Posted at 8:42pm Nov 3, 2011 EDT

I cured these mini-bottles today in the oven. Never been a problem, although I do use an oven thermometer.
I made it back to etsy after a few days of studio time to "clay".
billi-rs-rothove.blogspot.com/2011/11/desktop-november-3-2011.html

Posted at 11:13pm Nov 3, 2011 EDT

Instead of a light bulb, I use a round wooden ball that has a flat bottom. I bought it at Michael's. I think it is used for making doll heads. There are two sizes, so you can get two different degrees of curvature. I don't have any problems with baking or clay sticking to the wood.

Posted at 11:08am Nov 4, 2011 EDT

Thanks for the answers everyone, I'll post the results when they're ready :P
Jan, I don't think these balls are available around here, so I'll try with bulbs until something better comes up.

Posted at 3:34am Nov 7, 2011 EST

Thank you for raising up this theme! I also have wondered about baking the light bulbs.. Hope to hear about the results soon!

Posted at 10:04am Nov 7, 2011 EST

I use a glass jar for curves, and a friend of mine uses a broken ceramic mug. They both work pretty well.

Posted at 9:28pm Nov 7, 2011 EST

I've used a lightbulb to round out the shape of a piece. Turned out fine. Just make sure that the bulb is nestled in something that isn't going to roll. I put mine in cotton batting, the kind for stuffing pillows.

Posted at 8:57am Nov 8, 2011 EST

Sevdalina, I didn't look to see where you were located. Yeah I don't think Michael's crafts has made it to Bulgaria yet. Other wood options - looks for old round wood pieces that were used for finials on stair, or bed, posts. If you know a woodworker, have one made. I wish I knew one so I could have some made in different sizes to get different curvature.

I like the idea of using an old ceramic mug for making pieces where you need a gentle curve in one direction. It would work better than the paper form I made.

Posted at 10:59am Nov 8, 2011 EST