Keeping Up With CPSIA Children's/Baby's Blankets????

Keeping Up With CPSIA has the following requirements:

This team's purpose is education and advocacy around children's products safety issues.

Anyone is welcome to join the team and participate in discussions.

jschuman says

Would anyone that is familiar with small quilts/blankets for children, mind giving the basic regulations of making & selling on etsy? These would be crib size and smaller (such as a "security" blanket), of cotton, possibly flannel, with a satin blanket binding.

Posted at 3:02 pm Feb 12, 2010 EST

Right now when it comes to children's items there are no basic laws or regulations. Between the FTC, the CPSC, and the CPSIA there is a myriad of laws and regulations that must be understood by the producter of a child's item that must itergraded into the overall design of the final product before selling something to a customer.

For fabric and fiber items
FTC Labeling requirements
www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/business/textile/bus21.shtm#covered
www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/business/textile/bus50.shtm

The CPSC has product specific laws, regulations and standards that must be followed in addition to the more stringent CPSIA which concerns mostly what elements go into the making of a product.

The main CPSC website
www.cpsc.gov/

Additionally if your going to include appliqués, buttons, or similar decorations added to the blanket you may also have to follow the small parts testing procedures as well.
Small Parts Regulations Summary www.cpsc.gov/BUSINFO/regsumsmallparts.pdf
Small Parts labeling
www.cpsc.gov/BUSINFO/label.pdf
Maybe some one else has a link to a plain english version of the small parts regulations, but these 2 links are the best I have.

Here's info about small parts warnings and how they should appear in your listings / ads
www.cpsc.gov/LIBRARY/FOIA/FOIA08/brief/toygameads.pdf page 19 of the PDF has the abbreviations & page 20 of the PDF has the warning examples are in black-n-white but I believe they need to be in certain colors on the actual label for the physical product.

Here's some reading to get you started on understanding the CPSIA.

The CPSIA main website
www.cpsc.gov/about/cpsia/cpsia.html

For the current full list of raw materials offically exempt from lead testing please read www.cpsc.gov/businfo/frnotices/fr09/leaddeterminationsfinalrule-dra...

CPSIA guidance for small businesses/crafters includes a quick look guide Table : B exempt raw material list
www.cpsc.gov/about/cpsia/smbus/cpsiasbguide.pdf

An update on the stay of 3rd party testing
www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml10/10083.html

Webcasts for the 2 day public workshops in Dec 2009
www.cpsc.gov/about/cpsia/cpsiatesting.html

Tracking labels
www.cpsc.gov/about/cpsia/sect103policy.pdf

CPSIA's FAQ page
www.cpsc.gov/about/cpsia/sect103.html#103q8

The CPSC's age determination guideline www.cpsc.gov/BUSINFO/adg.pdf

A timeline from the CPSIA www.cpsc.gov/about/cpsia/rulemaking.pdf

Information on how this law is retro-active www.cpsc.gov/library/foia/advisory/317.pdf

Standard Operating Procedure for Determining Total Lead (Pb) in
Children’s Metal Products (Including Children’s Metal Jewelry) found at www.cpsc.gov/about/cpsia/CPSC-CH-E1001-08.pdf

Even non-metal components must be tested using destructive digestive testing read more here www.cpsc.gov/about/cpsia/CPSC-CH-E1002-08.pdf

On top of the government laws and regulations ther may also be certain standardizations set forth by an organization the acts as a self governing body for some products. Though following many of the industry set standizations are voluntary many consumers expect most products that have them to follow folow what the standardizations are. In my case that would mean if a describe a necklace to be Opera length a customer expects that necklace to be at least 26" but no more than 36" long, anything more or less and the customer would think that I don't know what I'm doing.

Posted at 4:00 pm Feb 12, 2010 EST

jschuman says

Thank you! Looks like I've got some reading to do!

Posted at 4:55 pm Feb 12, 2010 EST

Im selling in the same market and I've research the suppliers of my specific materials and requested certificates of compliance from them. Although the law states that each finished product must be tested, woven fabrics are exempt form testing. This includes thread as well. Following these rules for me means no more trips to the fabric store for bursts of creativity. I have a set suppliers so that I can bge sure I have my compliance proof in order. It is not impossible to get everything in order so do't let it scare you away :) All of the legal info was very overwhelming to me in the beggining, but once you develop a general understanding for what the requirements are then you'll be in business! Keep in mind (As mentioned above) anything else such as appliques should be checked out for additional 'hidden' materials. Some use glue and iron-on adhesives that I would definitely research before selling. Definitely read-up on the websites above. Great resources!

Now also sell pacifier clips... now that's another story! Small parts galore.

Good Luck to you!
Best Wishes in the coming year!

Jennifer

Posted at 5:01 pm Feb 12, 2010 EST

my3andme says

tag, you're it

Posted at 8:53 pm Feb 12, 2010 EST

jschuman says

Kadensmommy33-
Thank you for responding. I have noticed a lot of the threads in the CPSIA section, which are somewhat discouraging to someone who doesn't typically deal with sewing or fabrics. I know how to sew, and have made some baby quilts for a couple of friends for showers, that seemed to go over well. I thought I might give it a try and put a couple in my shop, but so far, I just have jewelry and some original artwork in place. I guess I'm trying to find my "niche." Thank you for your encouraging words and advice.

Posted at 10:16 pm Feb 12, 2010 EST

thanks for the info...

Posted at 11:18 pm Feb 12, 2010 EST

fabrics (assuming they have no additional coatings on them), do NOT need to be test for lead OR phthalates.

"The General Counsel for the CPSC Cheryl Falvey issued a statement in regards to a request for direction on this issue to the American Apparel and Footwear Association President. She basically stated that phthalates testing is only required on fabric if a plastic coating or added design made from plastics was added to the fabric and the fabric was being used to manufacture a toy or child care article such as a toy costume or baby rattle."

Therefore getting individual COCs for fabrics is unnecessary.

However something to consider. The lab I am working with has advised that children's bedding required flammability testing. So if you make specifically baby blankets, these should be tested. To be honest I haven't examined this futher on the CPSIA website to understand the scope of it - so if anyone knows anything additional on this I'd be curious.

Posted at 2:40 pm Feb 13, 2010 EST

I will additionally note that the above quote comes from the product quality specialist at Hobby Lobby (where I get all my Minky from), who recently attended a special conference on the subject in Washington.

Posted at 2:50 pm Feb 13, 2010 EST