Vintage Shop Critique - Circus Freak Vintage

Vintage is a moderated team with the following requirements:

>A team for Vintage Sellers, Buyers and Enthusiasts!
>Only Vintage items/shops may be promoted by sellers here, but handmade and supply sellers are welcomed as members, and to participate in all discussions.
>Only captain and leaders start threads please.
For new thread suggestions, please convo Remtique.
>Please read first post in a thread to be sure to follow the guidelines for posting to the thread.
>Please always be respectful of others here. Thanks!

This topic has been closed.

Circus Freak Vintage (www.etsy.com/shop/CircusFreakVintage) would like comments on the shop - specifically those things that draw your attention - both positive and negative.

Please take the time to comment.

Posted at 6:36 pm Aug 4, 2012 EDT

I really like this shop. The name draws you in, and I like the banner, definitely attention-grabbing. In some of the photos, the model is moving around, but most of them they are just standing straight up and down. I think I'd like to see some different poses - not standing on their head or anything, just a little movement. I think the shop is well organized. I like the lighting. Tell us about yourselves in your profile. I need to do my "about" page - I'm guilty there. The "about" page looks good. Join some circles. One piece of advice I got when my shop was critiqued was to get more involved with twitter, which until that point I didn't really utilize. I followed as many vintage jewelry shops that I could, and most will follow you back. You'd be surprised how much traffic that generates for you. More so than facebook, I think.

So I'm in the market for a vintage dress, casual, but it's hard to find a modern size "large" in vintage. I don't know why. I'm sure there were women in days past that wore a modern size 12ish. I'm not huge. I don't shop at plus size stores, not that there's anything wrong with that. But most dresses I see that are vintage run on the smaller size(I really like the green polka dot number, but I think it would be a tad too small!). So, with that in mind, I searched within your shop for a size large but nothing came up. Maybe you could put the size in your title? I'm more apt to look at a dress that I see that tells me it's a size large in the title.

All in all, it's a great shop! I would totally buy something from your shop. Cute clothes, good condition, nicely pressed(I think that is a MUST for vintage clothing). I hope my criticisms are constructive, I just got my shop critiqued so it's hard for me to give critiques. I'm comparing you to what I think an "ideal" shop is in my mind, so I feel like I might be being overly critical. I hope it doesn't come across that way! Great job!

Posted at 11:06 am Aug 5, 2012 EDT

I really think you have done a good job with the shop. The pictures are nice, the descriptions include measurements, and you have policies page. In addition, your banner is very cute. I honestly didn't see anything that might be a problem :)

Posted at 12:52 pm Aug 5, 2012 EDT

I think putting the size in the listing is imperative. Seems you limit your views by not posting it.
And using all five photo's especially with clothing. Five photo's is not a lot and the more pics the better a buyer feels.
And include pics of labels when you can.
I am guilty of not doing this as I covet those five pics for the fabric shots.
Kari

Posted at 4:02 pm Aug 5, 2012 EDT

I think your shop is lovely. What caught my eye the most when i was looking at the clothing were the ones where the model was doing something such as holding the skirt out from her body. Using some different poses, in my opinion, will give things interest and keep things from looking all the same.

It's important from a buyer's point of view to tell the size of things. I don't sell clothing but I've found that out with my vintage items. :)

Posted at 5:46 pm Aug 5, 2012 EDT

Yea, you make me feel horrible about my photos (feel free to critique--i'm new!). I wanted to add one thing that I haven't seen here yet: your titles. From what I've been reading, many of them aren't that searchable according to the recent etsy changes. Here's an article a dear friend forwarded me after looking at some of my titles:
www.etsy.com/blog/en/2012/how-to-get-found-in-search/

For instance,

www.etsy.com/listing/105467398/vintage-1970s-floral-print-pussy-bow...

Could this instead be something like 1970s vintage secretary dress / Floral Print / Pussy Bow (and then adding the size wouldn't hurt).

Again, my shop is barely a week old, so I'm no seasoned seller!! Otherwise, I think your shop is quite enviable!

-lisa @ threading marigolds (ps. i added you to my circle!)

Posted at 10:14 pm Aug 6, 2012 EDT

Amanda Sagarin from eclecticnesting says
Edited on Aug 7, 2012

I did not read the above, so unsure if there are duplicates.

Your shop is wonderful!!

I would make sure you are using SEO/researched tags for people to find you (also researched words are pulled from your shop welcome announcement, which you only have a fragment).....

and also mix up your close up and far back photos that serve as your feature photo to draw people in (keeping the white background).

Good luck!

Posted at 8:35 am Aug 7, 2012 EDT

Thanks for the comments! Keep'em coming coming :)

I'm having a hard time with the size thing because I would hate to limit the views based on size. Many vintage items can fit a variety of sizes depending on your desired fit (some people prefer their clothes tighter and some looser, oversized stuff can be worn big on a smaller person or more true to fit on a bigger person). That was my reason for including measurements rather than sizes? Does that make sense?

I have worked this week on changing my titles and it looks like I'm showing up higher on Etsy search results. Any ideas how I do that for Google in terms of SEO?

Shopping on my shop announcement page right now. Didn't realize quite how important that was until reading more about SEO.

Thanks again for the compliments and the constructive criticism.
I'm looking forward to more thoughts!

Posted at 4:47 pm Aug 11, 2012 EDT

Any more thoughts on the sizing, ladies? I'm wondering if i should be listing approximate sizes such as XS-M or M-L.... Does that sounds better than just having measurements?

Posted at 3:59 pm Aug 12, 2012 EDT