Handmadeology New Blog Topic - My Etsy Story - Get Featured on Handmadeology

Handmadeology has the following requirements:

All Etsy shop owners who are looking to increase their sales, traffic, and knowledge about selling online are welcome!

The Handmadeology Etsy Team requires nothing from it's members, but we are uniting to learn, promote, and connect.

Here are a few ways we can Learn, Promote, and Connect!

* Post links to helpful articles
* Ask questions
* Answer questions

Promotional Ideas:
* Create treasuries with items from our members (HMET)
* Tweet with our # Tag (#hmet)
* Feature other on your blog and link back to our team
* Post your links in our discussion forum
* Participate in Team events (help promote events)

* Introduce your shop in the discussion
* Follow, fan, and friend each other
* Participate in Team events

We love to hear how seller got started selling on Etsy. Here is your chance to get featured on Handmadeology and get some exposure for your shop.

Handmadeology is currently seeing over 50k visitors per month and over 100k page views.

Answer the following 3 questions right here in this thread.

1. Tell us your Etsy story.. how you got started in your craft and how you started selling on Etsy.
2. What have you learned about business since you launched your Etsy shop?
3. Tell us one piece of advice for new sellers.
4. When a new story is published help spread the word via Twitter, Facebook , bookmarking, or blogging.

The easiest way to know when a new "My Etsy Story " is published is to subscribe to Handmadeology's RSS feed.

Oh and you will get my Handmade Blogging Blueprint for subscribing as well!

To start things off here is my Etsy story!!

Remember there is strength in numbers. Handmadeology will do the featuring and publishing, but with the sharing is up to the team!

Go HMET!!!

Posted at 8:22 pm Feb 4, 2011 EST

What a great idea folks! Tell us the story!

Posted at 9:02 pm Feb 4, 2011 EST

Tribalmade says

Thanks for this sharing!!

Posted at 9:25 pm Feb 4, 2011 EST

jnorvelle says

I started silversmithing 6 years ago. I live in a remote area of the Oregon Coast. I didn't have access to classes of any kind. I'd been making beaded jewelry for many years and grew up in a very artsy, creative family so have always created in some form. I moved from glass beads to stone beads then began using Fair Trade Karen Hilltribe silver. I am in awe of the Karen and their skilled silversmiths. So after years of using their silver I decided to give it a try myself. I bought a couple silversmithing books, some magazines and watched some You Tube videos. My husband builds aluminum offshore boats so he was a help with my torch and gases. After that I was off!

My daughter had been hounding me forever about doing an Etsy shop. I had been an Etsy member for a few years, but didn't think people would buy my jewelry without trying it on. Finally April 19th 2010 I gave in to my daughter and opened an Etsy shop. I thank her all the time, she likes silver as "Thank Yous". :)

I read, endless forum discussions on branding, marketing, photos, selling on Etsy in general. When I do something I do it all the way, so my husband only saw the side of my face for my first 4 months on Etsy as I buried myself in my computer and at my workbench. My first sale I was so excited I couldn't believe it. Now 9 months later I have 95 sales and every sale is still exciting. One of the most important things I learned from Etsy was finding my niche and creating my shop around that. I started really thinking about what I do and what I love. I have always collected stones, love walking the beach and finding new stones. I realized I could incorporate my love for stones, love for the beach, and love of creating into one. I use beach stones in many of my pieces which ties it all together.

I have learned so many things since starting my Etsy shop. Branding, marketing, use of social networks, among a few. I am still learning, but if you read all the tips and apply them you will sell.
I love Etsy one piece of advice for new sellers is to make use of all the tons of seller help, read, read, read! Handmadeology is probably the best for an endless wealth of information. I have had many sales that directly link back to the Handmadeology blog and facebook page. Thank you Tim and Handmadeology!

Posted at 9:40 pm Feb 4, 2011 EST

1. Started three shops in late 2008, vintage, mini canvas artwork and robot sculptures. By 2009 the robots gained the most notability and I love making them. Buyers began to approach me with custom orders I would have never thought of and I've kept going ever since.

2. Ideas I've loved never caught on, it's okay to try different styles and sizes. Don't be afraid to promote yourself offline as you do online.

3. Follow helpful blogs like and
It takes time, be patience.

Posted at 9:43 pm Feb 4, 2011 EST

VZWraps says

How I got started in my craft and how I started selling on Etsy are so unrelated! I sell handmade, reusable fabric gift bags which I started making about three years ago. I was standing in my basement a few weeks before Christmas getting ready to dig out the wrapping paper box, and I just couldn't do it. I couldn't wrap presents in paper that was just going to be thrown away. So I went to the fabric store, dug out the sewing machine, and made some bags to wrap my family's presents. The next year I made some more and used them for presents for my family as well as presents I gave outside of the family. Everybody raved about them which felt great. But, the third year, as I got better at making them, people really liked them and said I should sell them. So after mulling it over for a few months and discovering Etsy somewhere along the way, I opened a shop. Not much at first, but growing all the time.

I think the biggest thing I've learned about business is to promote, promote, promote. It doesn't matter if you're selling cupcakes dipped in gold if nobody knows they exist!!! So getting my product out there, explaining the benefits (no trash!, makes wrapping so much easier, and they look great), and selling, selling, selling is the hardest part. There's no Field of Dreams -- just because you build it, people won't come.

My advice for new sellers, and I'm still under a year myself, is to work on your photography until your sick of it, promote yourself off of Etsy, and get help where you need it. I just hired someone -- a fellow Etsian -- to design a logo, banner, and avatar, and I'm considering getting some professional advice on the best photo setup and having a few professional photos taken for publicity kits.

It's a journey, and I'm hoping to make the most of it.

Posted at 9:43 pm Feb 4, 2011 EST

Posted at 10:16 pm Feb 4, 2011 EST

Thank you Tim, for this amazing opportunity! *Ü*

For about 10 years, I was focused solely on the publishing sector of the crafting industry: featuring my scrapbooking and paper craft projects, with jewelry design thrown in there every once in a while. But then I started to suffer burn-out and took up lampworking (the making of glass beads) as my "hobby from my paying hobby" and began amassing more glass than I care to admit! LOL I quickly realized that I had more glass to make beads than I would ever be able to personally wear or give away to my friends and family during my lifetime. I had heard about Etsy through some friends who loved it, but didn't seriously consider it for myself until my sister-in-law commissioned me to make 12 glass-topped bottle stoppers for Christmas gifts. That was the big push I needed to start selling my work and became the beginning of my journey into the retail side of the business.

2. What have you learned about business since you launched your Etsy shop?

The more work you put into it, the more positive results you'll get out of it! Do your research, check out highly successful shops and see what they do that makes them stand out? Subscribe to great forums like Handmadeology to make sure you're on top of all the current business practices, marketing trends, latest helpful software, etc. Don't underestimate the power of networking either.

3. Tell us one piece of advice for new sellers.

Treat your customers the way YOU would like to be treated: send their items in attractive packaging and include a handwritten thank-you note with it. It lets them know you care about both the quality of your work, and that you think they are special. Also, don't forget to follow up with a quick note of thanks through email or Etsy convo as soon as you see that you have the sale. Great communication and a personal touch are never unappreciated or forgotten! *Ü*

Posted at 10:48 pm Feb 4, 2011 EST

I became serious about my etsy store after loosing my day job. At one time I thought I'd make jewlery but quickly realized I'm a 2D artist! Oil painter and printmaker. I decided printmaking was the best medium for my etsy store!

I feel like I've learned a lot about how to photograph 2D work, and how to write descriptions that are interesting to potential buyer. I also feel like I have a lot to learn! The most important thing I've learned is not to devalue my product or my time!

My advice for new sellers would be to first focus on your product. Is it something that you are proud of and can stand behind? Have you worked out all the kinks? Next is brand identity! It should ooze from everything you have your store name one! I'm still working on the myself!

I look forward to seeing everyone's stories!

Posted at 10:54 pm Feb 4, 2011 EST

nisseworks says

1. I started in my craft when I was a kid. My mom sewed, my grandmother sewed, aunts, cousins, all sewed. It came to me quite naturally, actually. I didn't really do any sewing beyond quick repairs to clothes for about 15 years until I had my daughter in 2009. I wanted to be able to make her clothes and toys, so I hauled out my mom's old Singer 247 and started sewing again.

I heard about Etsy from a friend who mentioned he was going to open a shop to sell his beautiful jewelry…and then from another friend who set up a shop to sell baby clothes and toys. I joined Etsy in November 2009, but didn't start stocking my shop until March 2010. Since then, I've developed my talents and have worked on making my products better and more attractive to potential customers.

2. A little bit of research will go a long ways. Keep up on your bookkeeping or you'll spend too much time in December catching up. Don't be afraid to try new things. Make good, strong connections with people in this business.

3. Educate yourself. The resources are there - use them.

That's it - thanks!