Vintage Lovers NEED HELP? IS IT VINTAGE? WHAT IS IT? August 12 - 18

Vintage Lovers is a moderated team with the following requirements:

Thank you for your interest. We are not accepting any new members right now.

This topic has been closed.

Last week's thread: www.etsy.com/teams/7490/vintage-lovers/discuss/10714229/page/1

Need help with an issue? We'll try to help. Have a question? This is the place to ask it. Don't know exactly what your newest treasure is? Post a photo and we'll try to help. Not quite sure an item is vintage? We'll take a look and give you our opinion. Our team members generously share their expertise and knowledge; we will try to answer your questions or point you in the right direction for an answer.

Many times you will really have to dig and keep digging to find the information that you're looking for. Sometimes even your best effort won't uncover the information that you need. Our mantra is research, research, research. Remember that the internet isn't your only resource; your local library, too, will have a section devoted to reference and resource books.

Also take a look at our Resource threads. You just might find the link that you're looking for there.

We Vintage Lovers are much like archeologists uncovering our vintage treasures; sometimes we have to be information archeologists in uncovering the information that we need.

Posted at 12:20 am Aug 12, 2012 EDT

RESOURCE THREADS:

RESOURCE THREAD FOR DATING/IDENTIFYING VINTAGE CLOTHING and JEWELRY:
www.etsy.com/teams/7490/vintage-lovers/discuss/9759955/page/1

RESOURCE THREAD FOR DATING/IDENTIFYING CHINA, GLASS, and POTTERY:
www.etsy.com/teams/7490/vintage-lovers/discuss/9771452/page/1

RESOURCE THREAD FOR DATING/IDENTIFYING MISCELLANEOUS VINTAGE ITEMS:
www.etsy.com/teams/7490/vintage-lovers/discuss/9766297/page/1

RESOURCE THREAD FOR STAINS/SMELLS/MENDING:
www.etsy.com/teams/7490/vintage-lovers/discuss/10420862/page/1

Posted at 12:21 am Aug 12, 2012 EDT

I have a Crown Ducal set of 6 cups with saucers in the Florentine pattern (the dark cream version). I know that the pattern was originally created in the early 30s but I can't find anywhere how long it was produced for. How do I go about dating it? Replacements.com has one just like mine here:

www.replacements.com/webquote/CRDFLOR.htm
(the first one which says Flat Cup & Saucer Set )

Also, is the set more valuable together or should I try selling them separately? I have always thought that if you had a complete set, it is more valuable, but I see many people selling a single cup & saucer combo even when they say they have more than one.

Thanks
Victoria

Posted at 7:02 pm Aug 12, 2012 EDT

I think they will always bring more money when sold separately. However, that gives you 6 times the work of listing, packing, shipping etc. Sometimes it is nice to have it all go out in one order. Also, it gets harder to sell when you get down to that one last set. Sorry, I don't know anything about the dating.

Posted at 7:28 pm Aug 12, 2012 EDT

Can you identify this tennis player? I don't know anything about tennis, especially before I was born.

www.ephotobay.com/share/183.html
www.ephotobay.com/share/178.html

The edge of the button reads: "1975 WINCRAFT - WINONA, MINNESOTA"
I've tried searching the internet which they obviously make tons of sports memorabilia, but nothing like this.

Any help would be appreciated, I'm so lost. :)

Posted at 9:13 pm Aug 12, 2012 EDT

Marc from efinegifts says

Lindsey-Star - it may be Ilie Năstase. Here is a link to some photos of him:

www.google.com/search?q=ilie+n%C4%83stase&hl=en&prmd=imvnsol&tbm=is...

Posted at 9:36 pm Aug 12, 2012 EDT

I can't really tell for sure and I could be wrong, but it looks more than a little like Bjorn Borg. I can't really tell from the face, but Bjorn certainly rocked that "long hair held down with a headband look" hard! So much so that I suspect there were probably a lot of Bjorn wannabees out there. It was the era of dudes with long hair and tight sports outfits!

It is also before my time and I don't follow tennis at all. I'm more of a pop culture junky type guy. And like McEnroe and Martina, Borg was just one of those iconic presences.

Do a google images search on Bjorn Borg and see if it looks like your pin.

Posted at 9:40 pm Aug 12, 2012 EDT

Lindsey-Star Duhé says
Edited on Aug 12, 2012

Definitely has darker hair like Năstase, but curlier hair like Borg. Also the facial expression seems similar to Borgs images, most the image results for Năstase are of him much older.

Rawr! In my small town here, the sports shops are all now owned by younger people and have no idea for sure either. I hate trying to guess.

Thank you both for your input.

Posted at 11:05 pm Aug 12, 2012 EDT

I'm about sure it's Bjorn Borg. I remember him from the 70s and as soon as I clicked the link I knew it was him. He was a popular tennis player from Sweden back then. I remember thinking he was pretty cute. Kind of a wild, attention liking kind of guy, if my memory is correct. It's been a while ago. I could be wrong, but I don't think I am.

Posted at 4:27 am Aug 13, 2012 EDT