Let'sTalkBathAndBody Preservatives

Let'sTalkBathAndBody is a moderated team with the following requirements:

Please apply to become a member of the Let'sTalkBathAndBody Etsy team.

Hello! I am doing research on preservatives for a lotion that I would like to make and would appreciate your input on the topic. Anyone use a preservative that they can recommend?

Posted at 5:06 pm Jun 6, 2012 EDT

Optiphen is a paraben and formaldehyde-free preservative...It does not seem to leave as much of a smell like some others (like Phenonip...which I hate b/c it is all I smell in lotion). Have heard good things about Germall Plus too.
Good Luck!

Posted at 4:31 pm Jun 7, 2012 EDT

Thank you Jessica. I have been looking at the liquid Germall Plus, but will look at Optiphen as well.

Posted at 5:31 pm Jun 7, 2012 EDT

I've been using Tinosan SDC, it's a fairly natural preservative made with colloidal silver.

Posted at 10:26 pm Jun 7, 2012 EDT

I have heard of a colloidal silver preservative, but never knew the name. Thanks for letting me know. I will look into this one as well!

Posted at 11:35 pm Jun 7, 2012 EDT

Aside from recommending a particular preservative, Lotioncrafters website is one of the best as far as information. They have usage rates, pH limits, and MSDS listed for all their preservatives, and they offer a very wide variety. Shipping is super quick too :)

Posted at 12:03 am Jun 9, 2012 EDT

Thank you Rhea. I have been to that site, but will revisit it for the particulars that you mentioned.

Posted at 5:51 pm Jun 9, 2012 EDT

I like Tinosan. It's no longer called Tinosan it is now Silverion 2400. Works great when used in conjunction with potassium sorbate.

Posted at 10:45 pm Jun 21, 2012 EDT

Thanks, Arricka. I have been considering Silverion 2400. I will look into using it in conjunction with potassium sorbate.

Posted at 12:10 pm Jun 23, 2012 EDT

Anyone ever hear of active microtechnologies?

Better yet, has anyone used anything made by them? Looks like a great natural preservative, but looks can be deceiving.

Posted at 2:30 pm Jun 23, 2012 EDT