We Love Vintage! Do You? Promotion & Chat Team Photography Questions, Answers and Tips!

We Love Vintage! Do You? Promotion & Chat Team has the following requirements:

If you love vintage you're in! Just click on the big blue button!

It's that simple! No big commitment with no expectations or pressures on your time. Stop by when you have a second or an hour! Our team is open to everyone!

Please contact me or either of the team leaders if you have an idea for a thread. Current threads cover a range of topics. Please do not open new threads. Thank you.

auntsuesoldnewlovely says
Highlighted Post

Many team members have questions regarding lighting, cameras, photo size, backgrounds, etc. Please use this thread to ask all your questions or offer your answers! If you have some tips or suggestions to share we welcome that too! Have fun!

Posted at 9:51 pm Mar 21, 2011 EDT

Highlighted Responses What is this?

auntsuesoldnewlovely says
Highlighted Post

Posted at 9:51 pm Mar 21, 2011 EDT

auntsuesoldnewlovely says
Highlighted Post

Here is what I have gleaned from picking a photographers brain:
Always use natural lighting by a window, without direct sun coming in
Never use flash
Noon or early afternoon hours are best
Stay away from busy /distracting backgrounds
A neutral background color is best(altho many use bright colors)
Get good close ups that will make your item POP
You want to be able to ‘touch’ your item in the photo

Posted at 9:01 pm May 25, 2011 EDT

auntsuesoldnewlovely says
Highlighted Post

Here is what I have gleaned from picking a photographers brain:
Always use natural lighting by a window, without direct sun coming in
Never use flash
Noon or early afternoon hours are best
Stay away from busy /distracting backgrounds
A neutral background color is best(altho many use bright colors)
Get good close ups that will make your item POP
You want to be able to ‘touch’ your item in the photo

Posted at 11:23 pm May 27, 2011 EDT

auntsuesoldnewlovely says
Highlighted Post

Here is what I have gleaned from picking a photographers brain:
Always use natural lighting by a window, without direct sun coming in
Never use flash
Noon or early afternoon hours are best
Stay away from busy /distracting backgrounds
A neutral background color is best(altho many use bright colors)
Get good close ups that will make your item POP
You want to be able to ‘touch’ your item in the photo

Posted at 11:50 am Jun 1, 2011 EDT

auntsuesoldnewlovely from AuntSuesVintage says
Highlighted Post

♥♥♥
vintagefoundation says
A few tips, tricks:

1. If your camera has a white balance option, use it. Particularly if you can calibrate it yourself. I prefer natural light but sometimes due to time constraints I have to shoot artificial. Whatever the case I do my best not to mix light sources. So, that means turning off artificial lights when I am shooting in natural.

2. I'm blessed to be in a building where I rarely ever have direct sunlight so I get a nice soft natural light through my windows. Get a sheet if you need to and tape it up over your windows to "softbox" direct sunlight.

3. My background: two pieces of posterboard, $5 total. They can get dinged up pretty easy but they are cheap to replace.

4. I run my photos through a couple custom Photoshop Actions, adding a little Film Grain, clipping shadows and a slide-style border. Keeps things uniform and saves a boatload of time.

Posted at 2:52 pm Jul 1, 2012 EDT

Here is what I have gleaned from picking a photographers brain:
Always use natural lighting by a window, without direct sun coming in
Never use flash
Noon or early afternoon hours are best
Stay away from busy /distracting backgrounds
A neutral background color is best
Get good close ups that will make your item POP
You want to be able to ‘touch’ your item in the photo

Posted at 9:51 pm Mar 21, 2011 EDT

AuntSue great thread and good advise!

Posted at 10:03 pm Mar 21, 2011 EDT

Thx MR FR ....please add any tips you've acquired along the way...

Posted at 10:07 pm Mar 21, 2011 EDT

waalaa says

Great advice, Aunt Sue! I think good pics are really important tools in our shops!

Posted at 10:08 pm Mar 21, 2011 EDT

NannysRose says

I wanted to state that I'm loving Mr.FR new pics with the colorful backgrounds. Is that posterboard?

Posted at 10:09 pm Mar 21, 2011 EDT

Hi auntsue & Mr FR..........just jumped in WLV? WD! & saw the link for this Most Welcome thread!

Thanks so much for it, and all that you do for us! It is very Much Appreciated!

Posted at 10:10 pm Mar 21, 2011 EDT

I recently purchased a Giotto air blaster for dust in my camera, computer, keyboard. BUT I found another great use for it. I have read many jewelry sellers state due to the large photos on etsy minute specks of dust show up in their photos. This air blaster is like none other. It is not in a can and works by squeezing the bulb of the blaster. Fabulous for jewelry and all your photo taking. Get rid of those specks! It can be found online and is very reasonably priced. Just google Giotto. Here's a photo of it:

www.photofacts.nl/fotografie/foto/rv/giottos-rocket-air-blower.jpg

Posted at 10:10 pm Mar 21, 2011 EDT

NannysRose says

But if a neutral background were ALWAYS best, MrFR's new pics wouldn't look so cool.

Posted at 10:10 pm Mar 21, 2011 EDT

waalaa says

What a great item! I'll definitely check that out!

Posted at 10:11 pm Mar 21, 2011 EDT