Discussions

Sign in to participate in this discussion.

Your Favorite Two Cents...

Show Thread Summary

33 Responses

Rizzi said just what my favorite two cents' worth is...keep adding to your inventory. Try for 50 listings....then keep on going.

I'm always amazed when someone has 5 items listed and complains they aren't getting views or sales.

Five listings may work for 1% of the shops, but the other 99% need some inventory in their shop...
There is something to be said about wanting to stay "true to your vision", but in proclaiming that, don't expect to make money. There's nothing wrong with saying that this is your livelihood and conforming some of your art in order to make a living.
My advice is sort of the same as Danielle's . It would be to understand (really simply put) there are two kinds of artists. Decide which one you are and base your Etsy expectations off of that.

Artists in name = Make things for themselves and their needs and visions only with no thought on the marketability or profitability of the creation. Basically, you create whatever is in your soul and waiting to come out. If someone wants to buy it, cool. If not, then no prob because the creating of the item has already served it's purpose for you.

or

Artists in business = Make things for themselves *in addition* to making things for the masses with precise thought into the marketability or profitability of the creations. Basically you create whatever is in your soul as well as what others souls are yearning for. You goal is to make sales and profit from your creations.

Neither one is more honorable than the other but if you go into it with a clear thought on which you are there is less chance for disappointment with the outcome of your Etsy experience.
Default avatar
Inactive Etsy Member 12:46 am Apr 3, 2012 EDT
I loved reading all the advice!

Unfollow username?

Are you sure you want to stop following this person?

Report a post

Thank you for taking time to help Etsy! Please note that you will not receive a personal response about this report. We will review this post privately.

Why are you reporting this post?

Any additional comments?

Edit Post

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Edit Reply

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Enter at least 15 characters. 400 remaining.

Close

What is this?

Admin may choose to highlight awesome community posts that are friendly, answer questions, and offer informative links.

What does it do?

Highlighted posts are placed at the top of each page in a thread for greater visibility.