Discussions

Sign in to participate in this discussion.

tax questions/ quarterly sales and use tax return...

Show Thread Summary

18 Responses

thanks! actually ive been selling for awhile now but have not done live selling in a while...i miss it....maybe ill check this out!! thanks so much! tyler
Default avatar
Inactive Etsy Member 2:18 pm Apr 16, 2012 EDT
gross sales is typically, total gross sales, in state and out of state. there is usually another line that asks for exempt sales(which would be those shipped out of state), or a line that asks for taxable sales(which would be those within your state)
Default avatar
Inactive Etsy Member 2:21 pm Apr 16, 2012 EDT edited
everyone should research things on their own, dont take what you may read here as fact

here is the actual instructions for NY, and step 1 says all taxable and non-taxable sales is your gross
www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/2012/st/st100i_412.pdf
STEP 1
Enter gross sales and services — Enter the total taxable,
nontaxable, and exempt sales and services from your New York State
(NYS) business locations and from locations outside NYS delivered into the state in box 1. Exclude sales tax from this amount.
Help with your Sales Tax Return
www.gotogreatpanes.com/blog/2012/02/24/sales-tax-return-help/

More help for NYers & folks in other states for sales tax issues & registration help:

US: Sales Tax & Business Registration--Links to Official Government Websites
www.etsy.com/teams/7722/business-topics/discuss/9799713

nancyhehmann--the rules are different for every state regarding sales tax, but most require you to register, then you remit the sales tax collected monthly, quarterly or annually--your state will tell you the schedule they expect you to remit the tax on. See the link above for more help.

Default avatar
Inactive Etsy Member 2:26 pm Apr 16, 2012 EDT edited
from a quick look at NY's, you dont actually have a line to subtract out exempt sales, because you have to list each county that you shipped into and what tax is due for that county. but, i may have missed something too
GoTo, this is EXTREMELY informative and helpful. ive been looking for a 'dummy guide' well done...thank you
You're welcome!

As artisanwoodcrafting pointed out, there's no specific line for deducting out of state sales on the NY tax form, we do it by listing out the sales we do need to remit sales tax on, but it's the same end result. :)
Go To
You were right! I contacted 3 SC Etsy sellers and none of them are collecting state taxes. But, with your suggestion, I call the state tax dept 1-803-896-1420 and we do have to apply for a license $50.00 and collect taxes. The % depends on which county in SC we live; mine will be 6%. The website is www.sctax.org. A coupld of the people said they thought since it was a hobby business they did not have to collect. But, the state says yes. There is a less expensive license but only for people who just sell at craft fairs according to the state. I definitely do not want to get fined or worse; so, I have printed forms from the website and will be mailing them in prior to listing anything on my site. Which by the way will be travel photography from France, Italy, the Mediterranean, and US. Nancy Hehmann Carolina Photo To Go. I have great photo labs to work with. I am excited. Just wish there was less paperwork.
nancyhehmann--glad you got the info straight from your state--it's the best way to go.

The rate for SC does depend on the county, but for mail order items/shipped goods I believe it goes by the county the package is delivered to (destination-based sales tax), not the one it is shipped from. If you check the second link I posted on p 2, there's a link to a PDF file published by the State of SC that indicates that.

Once you get yourself up and running the paperwork won't be so bad as long as you keep your records up. :)

Unfollow username?

Are you sure you want to stop following this person?

Report a post

Thank you for taking time to help Etsy! Please note that you will not receive a personal response about this report. We will review this post privately.

Why are you reporting this post?

Any additional comments?

Edit Post

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Edit Reply

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Enter at least 15 characters. 400 remaining.

Close

What is this?

Admin may choose to highlight awesome community posts that are friendly, answer questions, and offer informative links.

What does it do?

Highlighted posts are placed at the top of each page in a thread for greater visibility.