Discussions

Sign in to participate in this discussion.

You are too good to be handmade

Show Thread Summary

69 Responses

Default avatar
Inactive Etsy Member 10:23 am Apr 17, 2012 EDT
That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.
What a way to discourage attention to detail, a most admirable trait in the world of handmade.
I get this a lot with my photography and my homemade Jamn - and even with my knitting. the knitting they usually see me working on so it's easier to believe. :-)

This photo in particular I hear ALL THE TIME - "YOU took that?"

www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=61037778073&set=a.61036448073.73425...

It's rather insulting - I think. I guess they really like it but I can't figure out why they are surprised that I took it. It's mpnot like my other photos are bad, lol.

And my Jamn - I take great care to present it well, but I think that it's the silly shrink wrap bands that make people believe its not homemade. If they only knew how easy they are to get and use, lol.
I had a customer threaten me with neg fb because my item seemed to be too well made to be handmade. ?
Mia- maybe they expected it to be taped together and have a macaroni border :)
dieseline from Dieseline says
Mia- maybe they expected it to be taped together and have a macaroni border :)

could be! I have something like that on my fridge!
I have to agree it is a lot of talented people here. I have seen things that take my breath away.
I don't believe I've received that comment, but I have received the surprised reactions from people on how many things I can create. At one point, I had my:

1. Teddy Bears
2. Gloves
3. Hats
4. Scarves
5. Polymer Clay Necklaces
6. Polymer Clay Bracelets
7. Polymer Clay Earrings
8. Button Rings
9. Leather bracelets
10. Soap

All on one table. The fact that I had all of these on one table shocked quite a few people that I could make all of these things.

Now I just have my knitted items & my bath products on one table.
LOL THIS is why I shop on etsy all the time! Unique handcrafted items that look AMAZING!!
Last year I received a few convos from people telling me that I must be a reseller. It was weird... Asking me all sorts of questions trying to figure out if I actually paint my pieces or not.
I only started selling last year and had no idea what I was being accused of. It was strange!

Unfollow username?

Are you sure you want to stop following this person?

Report a post

Thank you for taking time to help Etsy! Please note that you will not receive a personal response about this report. We will review this post privately.

Why are you reporting this post?

Any additional comments?

Edit Post

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Edit Reply

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Enter at least 15 characters. 400 remaining.

Close

What is this?

Admin may choose to highlight awesome community posts that are friendly, answer questions, and offer informative links.

What does it do?

Highlighted posts are placed at the top of each page in a thread for greater visibility.