Discussions

Sign in to participate in this discussion.

Question for Graphic Artists - Photoshop or Corel? Please HELP me!

Which software do you use or would recommend that I use? I am NOT a graphic artist but am planning to purchase Photoshop CS5 or Corel Draw Graphic suite. Mainly for editing photos of my girls' clothing, but my husband would also use it to interface with a Laser Metal Engraving machine he wants to purchase (I see a future Etsy shop on his horizon :>) I have lots of anxiety about learning the software. I was leaning towards Photoshop (it's more popular - right?), then someone told me Photoshop has a steeper learning curve than Corel draw. On the other hand I think there's more help available in terms of classes and tutorials for Photoshop, than there is for Corel. Any advice, warnings, or feedback would be much appreciated! Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!

41 Responses

Hi Cheryl! I have my bachelor's in graphic design. I would definitely go with Photoshop! It's the industry standard and it's not too complicated to pick up because as you mentioned, there's a lot of help and tutorials out there. Good luck to you and your Hubby!
Photoshop is what I would recommend!
Amy -thank you for the suggestion. Your photos are gorgeous. Love your pins!

-Cheryl
Striking photos Celticcatphotos! Only in my dreams will I ever reach such a level of quality with photos as you have :>)
Default avatar
Inactive Etsy Member 9:39am Apr 20, 2012 EDT
Definitely Photoshop!
So far, the results are Photoshop 3.....Corel zip, zero, nada......Hmm Sounds like Photoshop IS the way to go. Can anyone elaborate on reasons for going with Photoshop over Corel? Thanks everyone!!!!!
If you don't mind my saying, buying Photoshop CS5 just to edit photos is a rather expensive option. You could do that just as well with Photoshop Elements for example.

Photoshop is ideal if you are going to be doing lots of other graphics things too, perhaps fixing old photos, or creating images.

Most people who own Photoshop buy it because they are professional graphics artists,or do a great deal of quite advanced picture manipulation or creation. It is the top of the range product for this.

It isn't horribly hard to learn, but if you just want to fix Etsy photos then you will not be using 90% of its features at all.

I just wanted to say this before you go spend all that money because there really are FAR cheaper and equally good solutions.

Obviously I don't know exactly what your husband needs for his interface though.

I hope you don't mind my saying this.
Deborah Richardson from TinTeddy says

If you don't mind my saying, buying Photoshop CS5 just to edit photos is a rather expensive option. You could do that just as well with Photoshop Elements...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I agree with Deborah that Photoshop might be overkill if you are using it to just clean up photos for Etsy. Photoshop Elements would be sufficient.

I actually didn't even know that Corel is still in business. That said, the Adobe products are the industry standard, and you'll find a lot more help available online for Photoshop.
Agree that Elements will be more than sufficient both for editing photos AND learning Photoshop and graphics. There's just so much in it to start with. :) Corel Draw is a bit different too because it's meant for drawing and illustration - more like Adobe Illustrator. Though it does some photo stuff too.

Also, if you're planning on integrating the software with any machine like the laser etching really you need to check what is compatible with the machine first.

Unfollow username?

Are you sure you want to stop following this person?

Report a post

Thank you for taking time to help Etsy! Please note that you will not receive a personal response about this report. We will review this post privately.

Why are you reporting this post?

Any additional comments?

Edit Post

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Edit Reply

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Enter at least 15 characters. 400 remaining.

Close

What is this?

Admin may choose to highlight awesome community posts that are friendly, answer questions, and offer informative links.

What does it do?

Highlighted posts are placed at the top of each page in a thread for greater visibility.