Discussions

Sign in to participate in this discussion.

So what are you going to do?

Show Thread Summary

184 Responses

Molly, there is a local company in Philly that makes the most awesome sauerkraut- I will pay $8 for it for an occasional personal treat, but I won't buy it to use in my food business because it's just not priced for that kind of use- and if they made large enough quantities to wholesale, maybe it wouldn't be quite as good- who knows?

You all have complicated decisions to make- I'm just a buyer. And I've stopped buying here. There is to much to wade through to get to the good stuff, as some people have pointed out. I want my shopping experience to be easy, and it used to be easy to find something I wanted to buy on Etsy. Now it's not so I'm back to shopping in the boutiques in the city and some of the towns around here. I think you'll find there are plenty of people like me, but there will also be new customers as Etsy grows. Are they the kind of customer that will click through page after page of items? I wasn't- but maybe there are plenty who will. And as someone pointed out, if you have very unique items, you will still show up at the beginning of a search, and that should be good for business.
Trudy Shaw from secondarycreations says
it's kind of hard not to buy something, especially when the clerk is there looking at you. ;)

----------------------------------------
Yep, that's true! We're all "looking at" the buyers that come through our shops and read our profiles...how can mass produced items compete with that?

<------I'm looking at you!
Suzanne says -

And as someone pointed out, if you have very unique items, you will still show up at the beginning of a search, and that should be good for business.

And/or high in offsite search results, which is where most of my buyers come from. In general, my buyers don't come to shop on Etsy, they come directly to my shop. I don't expect that to change. (I purposely said "buyers" there. I get views from Etsy.)
Suzanne from blackeyesusan says
You all have complicated decisions to make- I'm just a buyer. And I've stopped buying here. There is to much to wade through to get to the good stuff, as some people have pointed out. I want my shopping experience to be easy, and it used to be easy to find something I wanted to buy on Etsy.

----------------------------------------------
This, although unfortunate; sounds to me like more of a function of the sheer size of etsy. In a website with many millions of items; nobody said ALL the items would be "good", haha!

There's lots of people who are not comfortable with shopping at what amounts to a HUGE shopping website; and for those; I don't think it matters what direction etsy goes; we were going to lose them to smaller venues and boutiques. But others are perfectly content to wade through pages after pages; and maybe like me; enjoy the hunt as much as the purchase.
I am going to find a new place for my workshop. The rent here is increasing crazily. You know... I do not really like packing and unpacking things...
Headache.
Brandi from PuurBody says Edited on Apr 29, 2012

Suzanne from blackeyesusan says
You all have complicated decisions to make- I'm just a buyer. And I've stopped buying here. There is to much to wade through to get to the good stuff, as some people have pointed out. I want my shopping experience to be easy, and it used to be easy to find something I wanted to buy on Etsy.

----------------------------------------------
This, although unfortunate; sounds to me like more of a function of the sheer size of etsy. In a website with many millions of items; nobody said ALL the items would be "good", haha!

There's lots of people who are not comfortable with shopping at what amounts to a HUGE shopping website; and for those; I don't think it matters what direction etsy goes; we were going to lose them to smaller venues and boutiques. But others are perfectly content to wade through pages after pages; and maybe like me; enjoy the hunt as much as the purchase.
I agree with you Brandi.
I blog a lot, and my readers know that I am passionate about what I do, and new stitches I want to learn. The elegance and passion comes through in my work. I also work at Michaels teaching crochet classes, and I talk about my business all the time. It's fun and people are interested.
What a great post! Thank you, OP!!!

One goal is to make sure I have something on the front page of Handmade, Supplies and All Items of a particular keyword. I sell one item that has to compete with resellers and seeing my stuff on page one lets me know I'm doing things right, for now.

Next goal is to open up a new shop marketing a item I'm not seeing sold on Etsy, yet.

I finally started a facebook page and will be promoting my stand alone website.
I zuzzed up my profile and updated my policies today. I didn't even realize some of my policies didn't even make sense anymore with changes Etsy has made since I wrote them.

Unfollow username?

Are you sure you want to stop following this person?

Report a post

Thank you for taking time to help Etsy! Please note that you will not receive a personal response about this report. We will review this post privately.

Why are you reporting this post?

Any additional comments?

Edit Post

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Edit Reply

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Enter at least 15 characters. 400 remaining.

Close

What is this?

Admin may choose to highlight awesome community posts that are friendly, answer questions, and offer informative links.

What does it do?

Highlighted posts are placed at the top of each page in a thread for greater visibility.