Close

Discussions

Sign in to participate in this discussion.

So what are you going to do?

This afternoon I went to Whole Foods and bought 2 jars of pickled purple sauerkraut from an independent dude who had his little area set up and was giving out free samples. (they had like an independent food artisan day there today).
I paid over $8 each for them.

I went to the grocery store to get supplies for chili and purple pickled sauerkraut was not on my list. Want to know why I paid $16 for some sauerkraut? Because he SOLD it to me and what I mean by SELLING it to me is he convinced me why I should buy it from HIM. He explained to me his small farm in WI is powered by solar energy and his family's small business made a pledge to create chemical free, organic products with no use of artificial fertilizer, they won the Good Food award in 2011, etc. etc.

I left there excited that I purchased his product and he'll leave there later today excited that he made sales. Win-win situation.

Not once did I think, hey wait, I'm going to go down the sauerkraut isle and see if whole foods store brand had purple pickled sauerkraut for cheaper. I want to buy from THAT dude because he SOLD his brand (product, ideals, presentation, etc) to me.

So that got me thinking about all the forum posts lately.

I think we all need to keep in mind we can do the same thing. Just because there's is competition or possible competition that is lower priced doesn't mean we are doomed.

So my question to you is what have you done to help your brand/business? Have you taken any of the passion you may be feeling over a certain situation and channeled it into a positive thing for YOUR business?

184 Responses

I agree with ou100% I am working on blog posts regarding handmade, I have other shops with handmade. I will do what I can to sell my talents, I will continue to promote my wares, handmade and other artists. That is all that I have the energy to do right now.

Great post. :)
I want to add...I really do think there is a "movement" in the works, a reawakening about handmade, handcrafted, buy local, small business. I think that people that are aware, and able will seek out quality over quantity, and will pay more for it. I believe that those seeking handmade, know it when they see it and are not easily swayed...and if they are....it is up to us to try to convince them otherwise.
Anyone who tries to sell me something based on "ideals" will get a laugh but no money. Different strokes....

I have been staying out of the entire situation and just concentrating on my shop. Re wrote my profile too so it reflects my handmade shop. I have an Etsy shop to help grow my business and income not to react and lash out every time there is trouble or conflicts here. Not very productive in my view.
Love this. I do what I can, even if it's as simple as walking down the street wearing my jewelry (i've made for myself) I do what I can. Next week it's going to be a market day I"m going too. I also think of everything that has been going on Etsy as of late. I don't want to get sucked into it, so I"m just trying to get my shop out there. By making new things and promoting more. Hope it helps.
Kym from TheTwinkleOfAnEye says

I want to add...I really do think there is a "movement" in the works, a reawakening about handmade, handcrafted, buy local, small business. I think that people that are aware, and able will seek out quality over quantity, and will pay more for it. I believe that those seeking handmade, know it when they see it and are not easily swayed...and if they are....it is up to us to try to convince them otherwise.
I agree with this 100%.
I too think more people appreciate handmade, mostly because they don't see it as much as they did growing up watching their grandparents do it.
ElleJay from 20thCenturyKitchen says

Anyone who tries to sell me something based on "ideals" will get a laugh but no money. Different strokes....

Respectfully, isn't that sort of what we're trying to do here on Etsy? Sell our own ideals as independent business owners? To get people to buy from the little guy. To buy handmade or well curated vintage from an independent small business?
Great post Molly!
People are turning to handmade items. They seem to last longer.
I just ordered tags to put on my items that say:"Handpainted by Starality".
I will continue working on my shop.

Unfollow username?

Are you sure you want to stop following this person?

Report a post

Thank you for taking time to help Etsy! Please note that you will not receive a personal response about this report. We will review this post privately.

Why are you reporting this post?

Any additional comments?

Edit Post

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Edit Reply

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Enter at least 15 characters. 400 remaining.

Close

What is this?

Admin may choose to highlight awesome community posts that are friendly, answer questions, and offer informative links.

What does it do?

Highlighted posts are placed at the top of each page in a thread for greater visibility.