Close

Discussions

Sign in to participate in this discussion.

questions about artfire . . .

Show Thread Summary

59 Responses

I was with AF for sometime, but found it "lacking." I'll be staying with Etsy.
Julie Clark from WaveandWillow says Edited on Apr 29, 2012

If you can, an idea to consider is to sell on both for a bit then look at the stats. That's what I did. You'll find proponents on both sides of the aisle, but at the end of the day, listen to the stats - your shop's stats, not someone else's. :)

--------------------
that is the best advice you can get.

Each person has their own threshold for success, we each have our own skills, and each marketplace has its benefits. For me, I sell using both venues. I can't imagine NOT capitalizing on the self-screened audience here that, in spite of having more gates than JFK airport, draws traffic without my help. AF, to me, is training for building a business without much outside help, just coaching, but Etsy helps put food on the table too.
Matt and Jill Beaudoin from MysticKnotwork says

Joanna from gothicreations says

If you are looking at AF as a shopping cart site why not get a domain name and use a shopping cart site. there are several of them many of which are at the same cost or only slightly more than AF. The added benefit is that you can use it to promote just yourself and you wont lose traffic to other shops. most shopping cart based sites don't have much in the way of interconnection between shops

--------------
appropriate sized shopping cart =$35/month, AF less than $20. that simple

actually I pay $19.99 a month on BigCartel.

having my own domain name and branding on what is my additional venue...priceless.

Matt and Jill Beaudoin from MysticKnotwork says

If you are looking at AF as a shopping cart site why not get a domain name and use a shopping cart site. there are several of them many of which are at the same cost or only slightly more than AF. The added benefit is that you can use it to promote just yourself and you wont lose traffic to other shops. most shopping cart based sites don't have much in the way of interconnection between shops

--------------
appropriate sized shopping cart =$35/month, AF less than $20. that simple

actually I pay $19.99 a month on BigCartel.

having my own domain name and branding on what is my additional venue...priceless.

===============
I agree.

www.artfire.com/ext/shop/studio/YourShop disappears and your business is in the TOILET cause none of your existing customer will be able to find you.

Personally, I'd consider an extra $10 a month to have www.YourShop.com a worthwhile investment.
Artfire sucks. that's my opinion.
I was on AF for 2 years, My sales were mediocre and with changes that were being made I decided to discontinue my AF shop, my sales were relatively small compared to my sales on Etsy.
OP, only YOU have to figure out if you wanna give Artfire a try. I've been there for several years and almost 1,000 sales soon. ya gotta work your hiney off there and at any other site to make it. all things are possible.

Much success!
I agree with Norma.

It is foolish for anyone who thinks that you can just list your products on Artfire and sit back and make sales. Unlike Etsy, most of the sales you make on Artfire are from buyers coming from the search engines rather than internal traffic.

You get out of selling on Artfire what you put into it. Selling on Artfire involves work. Having good photographs, product titles and product descriptions that are optimized for the search engines (SEO) all take a lot of work. That doesn't happen overnight. It takes time, lots of time, to get everything listed just right on Artfire.

The bugs on Artfire were the end for me. I had more than 130 items listed and they were there for many months until one point when images started disappearing; some items were dropped from being submitted to Google; and others had the color selection changed to black. I stumbled on these problems but discovered they were well known and not to be discussed in the forums -- not every seller seemed to experience them.

I had to inspect every item and edit those with problems. But when this happened a few more times I realized the time-consuming process was not worth it for me.

To say you get out what you put in to any site is just plain simplistic or naive, there is a lot more to it.
Thanks for all your input, guys! This has been really informative!

Unfollow username?

Are you sure you want to stop following this person?

Report a post

Thank you for taking time to help Etsy! Please note that you will not receive a personal response about this report. We will review this post privately.

Why are you reporting this post?

Any additional comments?

Edit Post

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Edit Reply

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Enter at least 15 characters. 400 remaining.

Close

What is this?

Admin may choose to highlight awesome community posts that are friendly, answer questions, and offer informative links.

What does it do?

Highlighted posts are placed at the top of each page in a thread for greater visibility.