Discussions

Sign in to participate in this discussion.

Question about how CC Direct payments work...

Hi all, sorry if I missed this somewhere!

I am ok waiting to get paid until I ship, however I do make custom made products that take 7 days before I would mark shipped.

Does Etsy already have the customers funds, and already charged them? And is just holding it for me until then? Or do they not charge the customer until it ships? I have an issue with the later and will not use the direct checkout in that situation.

Sorry if I missed this somewhere!

Thanks!
-Marie

14 Responses

the former. They have already authorized the charge. You don't get the money until the item has shipped.
I thought maybe a few people would use the direct CC, but already 5 orders with it in the last few days. Not sure how I feel about it all yet.

I am not likely to continue using it long term, shipping with Paypal is just way to easy and I think I am going to really miss that. I thought maybe a few people might use it, but 5 out of the last 9 orders since yesterday used it. hmmm

Guess I will give it more though! Still waiting to verify my bank account, no deposits yet. And when I signed up I added a new CC that was required and now it has no record of it period.

hmmmmmm

How is everyone else liking it?

-Marie
I like it, it's working out fine :) Once you're verified and set up, it's easy. The only thing that is more difficult is shipping. You can still use the Paypal shipping tool, but you have to type in the address.
I like it, more options for payment is a good thing as far as I'm concerned.
i like it, but all my items are vintage and ready to ship. i ship same day or next day so waiting for the funds is okay.
You can still ship with PayPal when using direct checkout.
Default avatar
Inactive Etsy Member 7:37 pm May 13, 2012 EDT edited
DC isnt really another payment option, though. people are still paying with a CC, same as always, just through a different processor
I like it and found once you get past the initial 10 day waiting period it is much faster. I just request earlier deposits rather than waiting for each Monday. I have noticed most buyers are using it now, about 10 out of every 12 sales or so. I just go to www.paypal.com/shipnow type in the address and print out my shipping label, doesnt take that long to do either.
Default avatar
Inactive Etsy Member 7:46 pm May 13, 2012 EDT edited
Alona from MoonlightDesigns2 says

I like it and found once you get past the initial 10 day waiting period it is much faster. I just request earlier deposits rather than waiting for each Monday. I have noticed most buyers are using it now, about 10 out of every 12 sales or so

that probably just means that most of your customers are paying with a CC, and not with a paypal account. and odds are, if your only credit card option was paypal, those 10 would have paid through there anyway. people who are paying with a card are of course going to choose the CC option and not choose paypal

all DC is really doing is shifting the majority of CC purchases to etsy instead of through paypal. and if you ask me, paypals policies are much better than etsy's. paypal doesnt automatically hold all funds until you ship, and paypal actually has seller protection policies, as where etsy has none

Unfollow username?

Are you sure you want to stop following this person?

Report a post

Thank you for taking time to help Etsy! Please note that you will not receive a personal response about this report. We will review this post privately.

Why are you reporting this post?

Any additional comments?

Edit Post

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Edit Reply

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Enter at least 15 characters. 400 remaining.

Close

What is this?

Admin may choose to highlight awesome community posts that are friendly, answer questions, and offer informative links.

What does it do?

Highlighted posts are placed at the top of each page in a thread for greater visibility.