Discussions

Sign in to participate in this discussion.

PayPal wants my dl, SSN and proof of address?

I applied for a PayPal debit card today and was denied (weird!). Then I got an email saying that I needed to give them a copy of my ID, SS card and proof of address within 15 days or I'll they will limit access to my account! Is this not crazy? Everthing was fine an hour ago.

16 Responses

Are you sure the email is from PayPal?
did you go to the paypal site to make sure that it was a legit email? there are some fake emails out there from paypal.

they are very helpful when you call, maybe you will want to discuses the situation with them.
The same thing happened to me about 2 years ago when I contacted them about a bug. They realized there was info they needed to prove I was who I said I was so they could provide me with my 1099's. It wasn't a big deal, I just uploaded the info they needed and a couple days later everything was normal again.

Be sure to only log in from the site itself, not the email, of course.
I've never opted for the paypal debit card.
Be Cautious. Call Pay Pal by Phone, and resolve it. There are to many Scams going on for years with Pay Pal. Asking for your SS# that May or may not be needed, it depends on why? Pay Pal is requesting it.
Default avatar
Inactive Etsy Member 7:45 pm May 13, 2012 EDT
I've been denied twice for paypal debit, and had to provide the same information both times. It was a complete pain and the offered absolutely no explanation as to why I was denied. I'm still really bummed about it, I would have loved to use the card.
Always best to call them when in doubt. And they are now requiring this information from many for the 1099...
Also, Recently I called Pay Pal with a similiar request. Pay Pal told me that there are sites that look identical to theres and they are not their official sites, but scams.
Default avatar
Inactive Etsy Member 7:51 pm May 13, 2012 EDT edited
yes, this does happen with paypal, its not unusual. they want to verify your identity after you applied for the debit card. they can run a credit check when you apply for it too, as there are ways to use it that work very similar to credit.

Unfollow username?

Are you sure you want to stop following this person?

Report a post

Thank you for taking time to help Etsy! Please note that you will not receive a personal response about this report. We will review this post privately.

Why are you reporting this post?

Any additional comments?

Edit Post

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Edit Reply

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Enter at least 15 characters. 400 remaining.

Close

What is this?

Admin may choose to highlight awesome community posts that are friendly, answer questions, and offer informative links.

What does it do?

Highlighted posts are placed at the top of each page in a thread for greater visibility.