Discussions

This topic has been closed.

Anyone noticing an increase in scams on Etsy

Show Thread Summary

24 Responses

Default avatar
Inactive Etsy Member 10:33 pm May 20, 2012 EDT
No, I haven't noticed an increase in scams, thank goodness. Of course one should always question all convos and use good sense. But I certainly haven't seen any increase at all.
I have been getting some convos every so often that ask me about custom made items that don't even come close to crochet and to please send my number and info to some hotmail account. It's a phishing scam

and a tell tale sign of a lot of these scams is the name of the person is usually a play on a famous author, musician or a character in a book

I have gotten Jacob Marley and more recently Paul McCartney
Is it possible that the convos were awkwardly worded because English may not be their native language?

I can honestly say that I've certainly seen a huge increase in suspicion lately....and most of it seems to be completely unfounded.
When I started selling out of my Etsy shop last year I was getting them frequently. But I haven't (knock on wood) received any in quite a while.
There have been quite a few scams referenced in the forums the past couple of weeks.
I haven't gotten any but I've noticed a large increase in forum posts about them. Whether they are really scams or just awkwardly worded convos due to poor English, I have no idea. I'd hazard a guess to say there's a bit of both, as nothing is perfect unfortunately, and scams do exist.
Here is one i got:
Thanks for the response,i am an oceanographer and am currently on the sea at the moment, i am buying the item as a gift for my Mother,i want to make it a surprise gift for her,she won't know anything about the gift until they get delivered to her.So i want you to reassure me that the item is in good condition as you have described.I can only pay through PayPal.So please kindly get back to immediately so i can proceed with the payment and after the payment has been done,i have a pick up agent that will come around to pick the item up immediately after payments.
After googling ",i am an oceanographer and am currently on the sea at the moment" I found similar emails.
Be careful!

My twitter was hacked last week the same day I started getting a bunch of spam hearts. I have a strong suspicion the two were related. Yes, I think scams are happening more frequently here. I think it's just how it goes, though. More people (especially when you're talking about more resellers which is not the same thing as handmaker of items who isn't out for a quick buck so a whole different kind of people) = more scams.
Valerie, for you to classify resellers in such a manner is narrow, inflammatory and unfair. It's also kind of ignorant. In my case, I sell vintage goods. Do you know how much time goes into curating lovely things and then cleaning or restoring them?

As someone who is both a reseller AND a Maker, I can assure you that one is not a quicker buck than the other. And for you to imply that I am a 'whole different kind of people' is rude and awful.
Diane and Christopher Serviss from pixiebell says - - -
No, not really. - - -

I agree with Diane and Cristopher. There have been scams, off and on, for quite awhile. I don't notice an increase.

Unfollow username?

Are you sure you want to stop following this person?

Report a post

Thank you for taking time to help Etsy! Please note that you will not receive a personal response about this report. We will review this post privately.

Why are you reporting this post?

Any additional comments?

Edit Post

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Edit Reply

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Enter at least 15 characters. 400 remaining.

Close

What is this?

Admin may choose to highlight awesome community posts that are friendly, answer questions, and offer informative links.

What does it do?

Highlighted posts are placed at the top of each page in a thread for greater visibility.