Close

Discussions

Sign in to participate in this discussion.

Had to pay 12.50 to postmaster...

A package sent to England on Dec. 1, just came back to me with the reason stating: "not called for". I have no idea what that means, but I had to pay $12.50 for the customs charge, I guess.
What I am wondering is if an international customer doesn't want to pay, can they send it back to me?

25 Responses

Sounds like your customer did not want to pay. Convo her to get some more information about what happened.
if the customer never received it and it was sent back, there would be no customs or VAT charges due. im not sure what you had to pay for. are you sure you had the correct postage on it to begin with?

and yes, any international customer can just refuse to pick up a package and it would be sent back, unless you check the box on the customs form to have it not returned in that event
Yes, correct postage. The customer told me they never received it and I sent out a new one. Wouldn't they just have to pay the customs fee again?
it looked like a customs charge.
Julie from JulianaWJewelry says

Yes, correct postage. The customer told me they never received it and I sent out a new one. Wouldn't they just have to pay the customs fee again?

they didnt pay the taxes the first time, so they arent paying it "again"
Have you got in contacted with the customer. I would check to see what happened on here end.
Julie from JulianaWJewelry says

it looked like a customs charge.

it couldnt have been, because they cannot charge you taxes. it could have been a handling fee of some sort, but not customs duty or VAT
It usually means what it says that the buyer was sent a notification to collect the package and didn't collect it. Collection is usually required if it is too big to fit through a letter box, it requires a signature and/or customs fees are due.

If the package would have been handled by the Royal Mail e.g. not a big box, the buyer would have been notified by a note through the door left by the postman. The Royal Mail usually hold onto packages for around 3 weeks and then send them back to the sender via the cheapest method possible ie surface so it can take a while for packages to be returned.

Occasionally buyers just won't receive the notification to collect/pay, it does happen. Sometimes buyers don't want to pay the charges and they can't be made to pay. Presumably if that was the case with your package USPS are imposing a fee because they had to handle a package involving Customs from another country.

Our fees are quite high as the import value is low. It is £15 GBP so if they decide to charge customs fees it is 20% VAT on the value of the package plus postage and any insurance costs paid and an £8 admin fee for the processing. The buyer should of course know these fees may be due and what our import levels are but because it doesn't happen on every package it does come as a bit of a shock to some people.

As already suggested do convo the buyer.
The fee was the sum of two charges related to each of two items. That is why I think it is a customs charge.
The customer let me know they received the package (the 2nd one I sent)
I am getting so frustrated with international sales lately, between this and then packages that never arrive.
I am starting to lose money on intl orders and am wondering if it is worth it.

Unfollow username?

Are you sure you want to stop following this person?

Report a post

Thank you for taking time to help Etsy! Please note that you will not receive a personal response about this report. We will review this post privately.

Why are you reporting this post?

Any additional comments?

Edit Post

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Edit Reply

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Enter at least 15 characters. 400 remaining.

Close

What is this?

Admin may choose to highlight awesome community posts that are friendly, answer questions, and offer informative links.

What does it do?

Highlighted posts are placed at the top of each page in a thread for greater visibility.