Discussions

Sign in to participate in this discussion.

Etsy vs Ebay

Default avatar
Inactive Etsy Member 7:38 pm May 22, 2012 EDT
I am new to both Etsy and Ebay, so not a lot of history with either, however I have been reading about so many success here, so I wanted to join.
Since joining I have not really had much traffic or anything really. I have begun promoting, but I think I am hitting a wall of frustration. On ebay it seems like it costs so many fees, but they bring the traffic to you. Here seems the opposite. I guess what I am getting down to besides a good vent, is there a etsy secret? Do you have to have a 100 items before getting more then 10 views a day? Let alone a order. Just trying to decide if this site is worth my time, and I really hope some of you will help me, and encourage me otherwise. Etsy has got to be better then Ebay right?
Thanks

22 Responses

you have to work 100x's harder here.
Hi Emily,
I did Ebay for many years (2001-2006ish) and I was very very successful. I still occasionally sell there, but it is rare. The fees are way too high at this point to make it worth my while.
Selling anywhere takes time and work, Emily. There is no "secret". Just hard work, tweaking your keywords, making product, figuring out price points, "testing" items in your market to see what sells.
Improving photography skills, marketing yourself with social networking
There is no magic. Just lots of hard work.
Watch Etsy community videos and learn learn learn. Try and test items under various keywords to see what works best to bring you the customers in your target market.
That's what it takes Emily...
no secrets...

I've sold both on Etsy and Ebay. It's always going to be a work in progress.
Depending on what you sell one market may be a better fit than the other. That being said if you give Etsy a try just remember that, again, it takes patience and a little time to see results.
I haven't sold anything on Ebay in a few years until just yesterday-I listed some "destash" items that my mom has. I've already got lots of bids. I forgot how fun Ebay can be-watching the bidding take place.
Good luck and give Etsy a try! I think you'll like it!
I do well on both sites. You can't really compare the two. It's like apples and oranges.

I charge more for my items on ebay to compensate for the higher fees.
etsy is constantly changing because they want to be current with every new fad that comes along like Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and each time they change the site so you have to relearn how to use the site.

ebay is constant and when they are making changes they let you know way ahead of time and it is done all at once. Etsy drags changes out week after week. month after month and while they are doing it it disrupts the site.

This does not happen on ebay.But ebay has rolling blackouts so sometimes you are seen sometimes not.

they both have their problems so hopefully doing both will help you.
I have done much better her on Etsy then on Ebay for my items. I had 13 years on Ebay and last year I got fed up with the fees. Here I learned how to tag and title my items for good SEO and I get good views. It is allot of work here though on Etsy to get found. Read, read and read some more is how I figured out Etsy.
Emily, you have a lot of work to do to really get your shop in a position to compete with the other shops here. Have you gone through the Seller Handbook? You're missing some basic building blocks to optimize your shop.

www.etsy.com/blog/en/category/seller-handbook/

And yes, it takes a lot of time and maintenance to have a solid shop here.
Default avatar
Inactive Etsy Member 8:44 pm May 22, 2012 EDT
I think Etsy is a much better place for selling vintage items. Sales increased dramatically when I had at least 50 items in my shop. Some say you should have at least 100 items in your shop. There is a lot of promotion through treasuries, so pictures are extremely important here . . . much more so than Ebay.
ebay advertises itself, etsy relies on you to do the advertising.

Unfollow username?

Are you sure you want to stop following this person?

Report a post

Thank you for taking time to help Etsy! Please note that you will not receive a personal response about this report. We will review this post privately.

Why are you reporting this post?

Any additional comments?

Edit Post

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Edit Reply

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Enter at least 15 characters. 400 remaining.

Close

What is this?

Admin may choose to highlight awesome community posts that are friendly, answer questions, and offer informative links.

What does it do?

Highlighted posts are placed at the top of each page in a thread for greater visibility.