Discussions

Sign in to participate in this discussion.

Relying on Etsy income?

I've been sellling in my shop since December 2011, so my shop is relatively new. I've had a few pretty decent months (for me and the time I commit) but I'm hesitant to rely on the extra income. I was considering budgeting a small fraction in as income each month but it worries me.

At what point did you start to rely on the income from your Etsy shop?

85 Responses

I don't rely on my Etsy shop at all. I don't really get that much revenue anymore. Etsy money that I get is like candy machine change :) Hey! - If it snacks a college student, I guess It's okay!
Don't really rely on it just yet!

My Hot Rod Car Magnets are starting to pick up steam as the car cruising season has just begun!
I don't rely on it. I do etsy because I enjoy it. I don't need the income to live. Sure it's nice to have the extra money - means I can go shopping guilt free :-)
I've been selling for over a year. I WISH I could rely on Etsy money as income, but I can't!
But I suppose that if I made as much money as I do with my "Real" job (which isn't that much, really) I would THEN rely on it & call it my income! :D
Default avatar
Inactive Etsy Member 8:15 pm May 24, 2012 EDT
Etsy money that I get is like candy machine change :) Hey! - If it snacks a college student, I guess It's okay!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
same here Etsy pays for my beer
like your stuff, it looks like fancy fishing lures
Default avatar
Inactive Etsy Member 8:15 pm May 24, 2012 EDT
i don't rely on it either... i DO consider it my second job though :D

i get income from etsy, and it is great during college especially while i am am majoring in studio art! all great for my portfolio.
I seriously rely on my etsy income, It pays for my groceries each week and helps me pay my car payment and rent as well, and snacks as well as lunches here and there. Im hoping that by next Year i will be able to quit my day job and rely solely on my etsy income!
I rely on my business income (of which Etsy is a part) to pay my monthly bills. Mortgage, lights, water, groceries, they all need to be paid.

I rely on etsy solely at the moment. I quit my DJ feb of 2011 and have been on my own ever since. I am opening a B&M in town. It's more of a creative space and studio to showcase all my craftiness. People can come in and watch me forge jewelry and purchase things I've made.

I'm making hula hoops tonight. Made some handbags last night and made jewelry today!

I really love that I can make whatever my heart fancies for a job...I'm not looking to get rich (although it would be nice, I'd have a HUGE space just for crafting ;D), I just like making things.

Unfollow username?

Are you sure you want to stop following this person?

Report a post

Thank you for taking time to help Etsy! Please note that you will not receive a personal response about this report. We will review this post privately.

Why are you reporting this post?

Any additional comments?

Edit Post

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Edit Reply

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Enter at least 15 characters. 400 remaining.

Close

What is this?

Admin may choose to highlight awesome community posts that are friendly, answer questions, and offer informative links.

What does it do?

Highlighted posts are placed at the top of each page in a thread for greater visibility.