Close

Discussions

Sign in to participate in this discussion.

Craft Cafe - the way it should be done.

Show Thread Summary

150 Responses

I like the look of the site too. I don't see anything wrong with the neutral colours.
Translate
I told Traci (the owner) about this thread.
Think she has other things on her mind right now, which I can believe :))

She told me in a private message that it's too late now for name changing and such, but she also writes some VERY good things, please see for yourself:

Hi Gre :)

I certainly do appreciate you looking out for us.
As of this point we are beyond changing the name, and quite frankly we do not wish to change our name.
We Love Craft Cafe.

I feel that if someone does not want to join us because our name then it will their loss. We have working tirelessly to make Craft Cafe a fabulous experience for both sellers and buyers.

I do believe that once we launch and everyone can experience the site, that most of those "I don't like the name" seller may have a change of heart. They still may not like the name, but they will LOVE the site!

We are not a clone site which there are so many of out there, Craft Cafe has been made from scratch with heart and soul, so we can make it a fabulous as we like :)

Also a big part of people coming to the site will just be clicking link, majority of ads and such will be online. So with this, there is no issue with the .co feature.

So with that said, I am sorry that some do not see out insight about Craft Cafe, but as I said, they my not like the name or .co but they will be blown away with the site and it's fabulous features.

All my best to you!
Traci
Craft Cafe
Translate
Woefully naive. Painful to see. Best of luck to all.
Translate
I'm curious to see how this turns out and does handmade supplies qualify as a handmade item or both?
Translate
Its not a matter of "liking" the name.

Many of us have been selling online for many years and know that a bad domain name can sink a new website.

Picking a domain name is like internet business 101. So I think many of us shy away thinking that there will be other issues.

I wish them all success just like I did thecraftstar, but people starting these sites need to know common business rules of running an online venue. If they don't have that knowledge then they need to pay someone to consult with.
Translate
Kay Baxter from kayscrochetpatterns says
Its not a matter of "liking" the name.

Many of us have been selling online for many years and know that a bad domain name can sink a new website.

Picking a domain name is like internet business 101. So I think many of us shy away thinking that there will be other issues.

I wish them all success just like I did thecraftstar, but people starting these sites need to know common business rules of running an online venue. If they don't have that knowledge then they need to pay someone to consult with.
====
Exactly. The whole point of the co domain name was missed. It has nothing to do with other people liking the name. It does however have a lot to do with the site owner liking the name and thinking the sites feature's will be fantastic and apparently that those will overcome any thing else that's lacking.

It doesn't matter how great a sites features are if the domain name stands a good chance of sinking it. IMO, It's foolhardy and unprofessional to get tunnel vision about loving a domain name.

This is business and I'm not seeing business acumen that would give me confidence to join. The manifested lack of it does lead to other questions though about SEO, for example, if something as basic as domain name selection is problematic from the start.

Oh, well, not my problem. I'm not going to join. I've said my piece. People are going to do what they're going to do. Best wishes to everyone.
Translate
I would think that so many of the good .com names are now taken, so some businesses are starting to use alternatives like .co, .me., .biz

Maybe there will be a shift due to this and people will actually get used to the other extensions.

It's impossible to know for sure.
Translate
FrancescasFancy from FrancescasFancy says

I find this interesting, concerning the rights to our content:

Craft Cafe terms:

2. Posting
(a) By posting your Content using the Services, you are granting an unrestricted, irrevocable, non-exclusive, royalty-free, perpetual, worldwide, and fully transferable, assignable, and sublicensable right and license to use, copy, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create collective or derivative works from, distribute, perform and display your Content in whole or in part and to incorporate it in other works in any form, media, or technology now known or later developed. You further warrant that all so-called moral rights in the content have been waived.

----

Etsy's terms:

6. Content
License: Etsy does not claim ownership rights in your Content. You grant Etsy a license solely to enable Etsy to use any information or Content you supply Etsy with, so that Etsy is not violating any rights you might have in that Content. You grant Etsy a non-exclusive, worldwide, perpetual, irrevocable, royalty-free, sublicensable (through multiple tiers) right to exercise the copyright, publicity, and database rights (but no other rights) you have in the Content, in any media now known or not currently known, with respect to your Content. You agree to allow Etsy to store or re-format your Content on Etsy and display your Content on Etsy in any way as Etsy chooses. Etsy will only use personal information in accordance with Etsy's Privacy Policy.

---

The difference is that Etsy seems more respectful toward our intellectual property than does Craft Cafe. With all the copycats and copyright infringers, I'd think a handcraft venue would be more diligent to protects the rights of their members.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
^^This^^. If you are a photographer you give up copyrights?
Translate
The site does look appealing, but there are so many of these sites now and they all seem to have the same problem - they are marketed to sellers, not buyers. The owners run around telling all the craftspeople and artists about the great features and say "come and sell stuff on our site!". Their front page and/or information pages are usually full of reasons why people should SELL there. They make a great effort to network and make friends with sellers, often inspiring great enthusiasm in the sellers as a result. And usually they make money from the sellers they are attracting (eg by monthly fees) whether anyone buys from the site or not. While on the surface monthly fees sound like a better deal for sellers, in practice the site has zero incentive to attract any buyers, only to attract more sellers. A business won't do anything they don't make money from, and therefore this site, like many of the other Etsy-like sites, will probably be a seller-only zone with the only sales being from other sellers, like most of the others are.

Etsy might be more expensive but it makes more money the more buyers it drives to the site, and therefore expends a lot of marketing efforts attracting buyers, instead of just chasing sellers all the time!
Translate
I wish the forums had a "like" button because the above post by Wildermancy, is my feeling exactly. This is why I have chosen not to list with other sites that charge a monthly fee. It's great for sellers but what is the motivation of those sites to bring in buyers? There is none. They make no money off buyers.
Translate

Unfollow username?

Are you sure you want to stop following this person?

Report a post

Thank you for taking time to help Etsy! Please note that you will not receive a personal response about this report. We will review this post privately.

Why are you reporting this post?

Any additional comments?

Edit Post

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Edit Reply

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Enter at least 15 characters. 400 remaining.

Close

What is this?

Admin may choose to highlight awesome community posts that are friendly, answer questions, and offer informative links.

What does it do?

Highlighted posts are placed at the top of each page in a thread for greater visibility.