Close

Discussions

Sign in to participate in this discussion.

Too Picky!! Help!

I have a 'potential' customer who is being very...persnickety. She wants a redesign on one of my patterns, she doesn't like the quality of the onesies I use and she wants me to find out about another company's onesie she might like better...
At what point can I say "I'm sorry but this isn't worth it!" (And is there a polite way to say it?!)

24 Responses

Is there no way to do it?
Well...you don't have to take her on as a customer. Chances are that she will go elsewhere anyway.
Hi, YES there is. Simply say something like "our working styles don't seem to be compatible, let me recommend XYZ seller to you" (if you know one) -- recommend a shop she can go to, a B&M store or ....

It can definitely be done, and I hear you, you Must listen to your gut instincts. They are telling you this buyer will be a major PITA. "Will be", I correct myself: IS already :-O

ETA: In my many years selling online, all we have to go by is our instincts. And past experiences. Mine have proven over and over, PITA in the beginning, PITA even worse at the end.

Take care of yourself!
Hmm.. that's tough. It may be one of those situations where the customer may *never* be happy.
If you're not wanting to do it, it won't be worth it to you [financially], it's stressing you out, or you don't have the time to do the order, there's nothing wrong with ending it. Your shop, your business! You have the right to decide what you'd like to do, and what not to do.

So, if they continue, it might be easiest to say something like "I'm sorry, I won't be able to find a onesie that you'd prefer. I think you'll be more satisified if you chose another seller, who could fulfill your requests, as I will not be able to. "

I love your onesies, btw! Adorable :)
I had a potential customer last night who sent about 10 convos asking me first about a bracelet she liked and asked me to change the center bead which meant I had to take a design apart that took me a lot of time to make. Then she wanted another one also and picked out another one and asked me to take out this bead and that bead and add these other beads. I had to tell her that I couldn't help her and that I am sorry. It was just too much and she was way to demanding.
Carol from CarolBradleyDesigns

Changed from CarolBradley on Jun 3, 2015

11:00 pm May 30, 2012 EDT
hmmm

Charge extra for a pattern redesign.

Tell the customer that the onesies brand you use is very popular and she can probably find another seller that has the brand she wants.
Jenifer, yes it can be frustrating at times when making a custom order.
If you feel it is getting out of control you could say something like
"Thank you for your interest in our items I am sorry but we currently only make our items from (insert name of onesie). then I usually try to find someone else on etsy who makes what they are looking for and refer the customer to them.
It is a difficult call, but it is up to you
Best of luck
Thanks Laura!

We're just 6 or 7 emails in and haven't found anything that works and I am getting a bit stressed about the whole thing!
Yes, definitely! I've found that an important part of successfully growing my business over the last couple of years has been the ability to say no. We all want to provide the best customer service but there are definitely some requests that just aren't worth it. Good luck!

Unfollow username?

Are you sure you want to stop following this person?

Report a post

Thank you for taking time to help Etsy! Please note that you will not receive a personal response about this report. We will review this post privately.

Why are you reporting this post?

Any additional comments?

Edit Post

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Edit Reply

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Enter at least 15 characters. 400 remaining.

Close

What is this?

Admin may choose to highlight awesome community posts that are friendly, answer questions, and offer informative links.

What does it do?

Highlighted posts are placed at the top of each page in a thread for greater visibility.