Close

Discussions

Sign in to participate in this discussion.

One thing I wish I would have known...

What is one thing you wish you would have known when you just started out with your Etsy shop? Share it here so newbies (and the more experienced) can get some practical help.

One thing I wish I would have known: Pictures are SO important. SUPER important. Don't settle for just "okay" pictures. Go all out and make those babies the best they can be!

Looking foward to seeing some responses!
Translate

70 Responses

more about how shipping worked here. it was a steep learning curve figuring out how to come up with the right price for shipping.
Translate
I wish I would have known some of the more intricate ins and outs of SEO. It would have saved me from going back and re-doing almost all of my listings. Oh well, SEO is kind of tricky at first, but definitely a very important part of Etsy shop ownership. All part of the learning process!
Translate
SEO for sure for me! Has been the hardest thing to get a grip on. when I do it slips away again
Translate
I wish I had known more about SEO right from the start as well.
Translate
SEO is my problem! i'm definitely on the process of learning trying to get into the social media, it needs a lot of time, but it's a bit fun. i hope it begans to work in some months!
Translate
ONE thing? hmmm....all the various info. I needed to keep track of for tax time.
Translate
So... those of you who said you wish you know more about SEO - anyone have some good tips on where you picked up more information??

My favorite tips are sites like etsyhacks.com which let you see where your shop falls (page number) for specific searches, and also how much inventory value you have in your shop. Can't expect to make any sales goals with not even having that much inventory listed!

Also great photos - and keep in mind that they get cropped to square for the thumbnails, so if you make it look all nice on your camera, you may end up with a strange photo on this site...
Translate
The importance of building up a good strong inventory I think, still trying to get to 100 listings and it's been almost 2 months!
Translate
Promoting OFF of Etsy - once I started to venture out - the business started rolling in!

I have such a hard time talking about myself and what I do, but I have learned - it's exactly a part of who I am - and it's okay!
Translate

Unfollow username?

Are you sure you want to stop following this person?

Report a post

Thank you for taking time to help Etsy! Please note that you will not receive a personal response about this report. We will review this post privately.

Why are you reporting this post?

Any additional comments?

Edit Post

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Edit Reply

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Enter at least 15 characters. 400 remaining.

Close

What is this?

Admin may choose to highlight awesome community posts that are friendly, answer questions, and offer informative links.

What does it do?

Highlighted posts are placed at the top of each page in a thread for greater visibility.