Discussions

Sign in to participate in this discussion.

Having a sale = tumbleweed like stats - just me?!

Default avatar
Inactive Etsy Member 9:02 am Jun 13, 2012 EDT
I'm just wondering if sales sections ever work for you??

Is it better to offer a coupon or something else?

I've noticed that myself, and a few friends on here seem to find our shops go completely quiet when we introduce a sale section and promote like crazy...

I don't get it!

7 Responses

i have never run an sale here, but i have read mixed results. some shops have great success with their sales, but many post here that sales doesn't work for them.
I don't know...I don't do sales or coupons. Sales don't entice me to go into a store or buy, so I don't utilize sales as a business practice.
I haven't had sales section in quite a long time as I didn't find they increased sales in my shop. It didn't seem like many of my customers utilized the section.

I did put a few items on sale after Christmas in their regular sections and that did result in the items selling.

We just recently started using a coupon code and to my surprise, we have had quite a few using it.
Default avatar
Inactive Etsy Member 9:07 am Jun 13, 2012 EDT
the christmas in july and black friday-cyber monday sales did pretty good for me, but you have to go all out with tagging to make them work.
I have tried sales as a means to nudge people to order early for Christmas, rather than deciding to commission a portrait on December 1. Just hasn't worked for me.

Every year I get even more ordering for Christmas, paying full price, who have to wait til Jan or Feb to give their gift.

So I stopped doing the sale thing. People buy when they want to.
Running a sale only became a successful endeavor for me after I had about 600 facebook fans to advertise it to. To get a response to your sale, you can't just rely on people finding it be chance, I believe.
Default avatar
Inactive Etsy Member 12:09 pm Jun 13, 2012 EDT
It's like... a repelling magnet! My views have hit the bucket, deary me! I think I have learned a lesson :D

Unfollow username?

Are you sure you want to stop following this person?

Report a post

Thank you for taking time to help Etsy! Please note that you will not receive a personal response about this report. We will review this post privately.

Why are you reporting this post?

Any additional comments?

Edit Post

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Edit Reply

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Enter at least 15 characters. 400 remaining.

Close

What is this?

Admin may choose to highlight awesome community posts that are friendly, answer questions, and offer informative links.

What does it do?

Highlighted posts are placed at the top of each page in a thread for greater visibility.