Discussions

This topic has been closed.

Help with Pinterest

Well, I've signed up with Pinterest, but I'm really not sure what I should do now. Not being real familiar with the site, I thought it was a way to promote my glasses, but now I don't understand how to go about doing that!!

Any help would be appreciated and is it worth the trouble? Thanks in advance.

19 Responses

Default avatar
Inactive Etsy Member 4:57pm Jun 13, 2012 EDT
The purpose behind Pinterest is to pin images you like on your boards. There is no reason you cannot have a board that features images of your glasses...but don't limit it to that. You can put up other images that inspire you, images of places you want to visit and/or live, books you want to read, quotes you like, etc., etc.

Just go in and play around with it. You can upload images and pin from other websites, but I'd also suggest finding images you like on Pinterest and re-pinning them. That gets you interacting with others, and hopefully they'll look at your boards and repin your images.

Like all social media sites, it can take time to get it going. Play around with the time of day you pin to see what generates the most interest. You can also connect Pinterest to your Facebook and Twitter accounts, so people following you there can see when you've pinned something. Try different strategies and see what works for you. And most of all, have fun with it - although it can be quite addictive and time consuming looking at all the images!!
I like it very much and don't have the hang of it yet either. All I see is the same image over and over pinned by different users.

To pin I look for the Pin it button next to something I like. If there is no button I am not sure how to do it either.

I haven't taken the time to read the FAQ either.

But I love looking around and I love Flickr for the same reason. I get lots of views from our Flickr site. Now that's addictive!
Careful on pintrest pinning too may things from the same domain though as they can and will ban your account if it is not mixed.
I love Pinterest.
Think of it first as your own idea boards. If you had big cork boards on your wall and you named them all and then whenever you find something you like, want to remember or need, you pin them on your wall.
NOW take down the wall and log into Pinterest there you will have all your "boards" that you've titled and when you come across something on the internet that you want to remember or love or an idea instead of bookmarking the page you "pin it". Your Pinterest boards will appear and then you'll post it to the board you want to find it on.
YOU need to install a "pin it" button in your browser bar

pinterest.com/about/goodies/

"Once installed in your browser, the “Pin It” button lets you grab an image from any website and add it to one of your pinboards. When you pin from a website, we automatically grab the source link so we can credit the original creator."
here are my boards too
pinterest.com/paperflora2/
I think with Pinterest you should not have the first board of just your product. I've seen some pinterst accts. that have only their own product and it is so Boring. Who would want to follow them? If you create boards of things that interest you, other people will find you that like your boards. They give you a few people to follow at first and then you can look at them but then you can also look at who they are following to meet more people to follow. I think it is so much fun. I started about 5 months ago and now I have over 300 followers. I have some of my jewelry on my jewelry board but I like to pin other people's work and feel that is the true spirit of Pinterest.
Really sharing each other's creations that you admire and stir up some fun!
my boards are pinterest.com/soverycharmed
Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply. It amazes me how willing the Etsy community is to help through forums.
Default avatar
Inactive Etsy Member 8:37am Jun 14, 2012 EDT
I feel Pinterest is a bit more for the older crowd; I personally have not heard or seen anyone have a huge increase in traffic through Pinterest, but I'm sure there are those out there who have.

I've pinned my own stuff to my boards as well, in a folder for them & as well in my "Style" folder so it can be seen among other similiar fashion. www.pinterest.com/aleelapin
Just joined Pinterest. Thanks for the tips. I've followed you all.
Mine is pinterest.com/lovejewellsy if you are interested.
Thanks
Mel

Unfollow username?

Are you sure you want to stop following this person?

Report a post

Thank you for taking time to help Etsy! Please note that you will not receive a personal response about this report. We will review this post privately.

Why are you reporting this post?

Any additional comments?

Edit Post

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Edit Reply

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Enter at least 15 characters. 400 remaining.

Close

What is this?

Admin may choose to highlight awesome community posts that are friendly, answer questions, and offer informative links.

What does it do?

Highlighted posts are placed at the top of each page in a thread for greater visibility.