Close

Discussions

Sign in to participate in this discussion.

Shipping without a confirmed address

Show Thread Summary

25 Responses

Thanks so much for all the useful and informative advice! I think since I got a quick verification from my customer, I am going to go ahead and ship the item.
see, here is another factor- you also have to prove delivery for paypal protection, but DC isnt reliable anyway. many times it will say delivered, but the customer really didnt get it. are you really going to tell the customer "tough luck, i have seller protection"?

paypal protection really only protects you from fraudulent claims of non-delivery, but you can never really know for sure if the customer is lying or not anyway. so, other methods of protection are probably the way to go, like self-insuring everything. then you are always protected, no matter what the situation, even when they are lying or cheating you
My address isn't confirmed because I don't have a PP account.
As far as I know, as long as you ship with signature confirmation, you're ok.
you dont have to have a paypal acct to have a confirmed address. i have had guest users with confirmed addresses, if it matches the CC billing info, its confirmed, i think
Have been selling for many years. I check to see if the ship address on the Paypal matches the one on the sold notice. If they differ I then send an email containing both of the address and ask which one is the preferred address. This has worked very well for me. I have had a couple of instances where the buyer did not respond. In that case I use the Paypal. Of course, with eBay this process now cost demerit points as the do not want the seller and buyer corresponding, but I am not changing my process. I much prefer that an item gets shipped where it is wanted.

Dave, mountainbrook.etsy.com
Here's another link that takes you to PayPal's instructions for confirming alternate addresses:

www.paypal.com/webapps/helpcenter/article/?currentIssueID=10153&m=SRE

While I have never had a problem, of course that doesn't mean I never won't. There aren't too many people who are going to scam someone out of a $7-10 item. Now, if I was selling $25+ merchandise, I would probably request a confirmed address.

Tammy, I think you need to do what makes you the most comfortable and think of what you can live with, worst case scenario.

I'd be interested to see if anyone adds verbage to policies or listings to request confirmed addresses, as I might do that now.

Unfollow username?

Are you sure you want to stop following this person?

Report a post

Thank you for taking time to help Etsy! Please note that you will not receive a personal response about this report. We will review this post privately.

Why are you reporting this post?

Any additional comments?

Edit Post

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Edit Reply

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Enter at least 15 characters. 400 remaining.

Close

What is this?

Admin may choose to highlight awesome community posts that are friendly, answer questions, and offer informative links.

What does it do?

Highlighted posts are placed at the top of each page in a thread for greater visibility.