Close

Discussions

Sign in to participate in this discussion.

How many is too many?

I am moving into made-to-order items because I am realizing that it is better than making a lot of one-of-a-kind items to list and store until purchased. I am still going to offer one-of-a-kind items but I intend to make the majority of my things made-to-order. This is requiring a complete over haul of my shop.

I started deciding which things I want to make and writing a list in the colors that I will keep on stock to make more of. I started doing everything in silver and that add about 12 things to my shop. Once I go through every color in each item it will mean that I will have 200-300 items in my shop. That is if I don't expand my line, which I intend to because I get inspired all the time.

I just don't know how many is too many. I don't want to overwhelm buyers with choices but I also want to give buyers a lot of choices.

5 Responses

Jolynn, just my opinion; but I don't think you can have too many. The more choices people have, the better (BTW, don't go by me :) I don't have a lot of styles to choose from. But I'm OK with that).

In your situation, it sounds like you have a good plan. I'd run with it.
Best Wishes to you!
thats what i do " made to order"

i guess the more products you have...the more authority you gain!

suppose my niche is leather bags ...and than i have variety of leather bags
as in
laptop bags
satchel bags etc..... more products = more views=more sale

and from the SEO point of views.... you gain more authority in google...

and they say " content is king" and your products are your content
I have wayyy too many listings in my Made to Order shop.. I am actually trying to decide which ones to remove... at 160+ I feel there are too many choices.

Just my opinion.
Also I worry that one odd day people will buy all the listing and I won't be able to keep up. If they had batch editing where I could change the listings all together to relate wait times as business picks up I would feel better.

I know there is one you can pay for but I don't get the sales yet to justify the cost.
I have 253 listings at the moment, the majority of them I have to make when an order is placed. I have more to list yet. I always worry its too much, but I love making different things all the time.

Unfollow username?

Are you sure you want to stop following this person?

Report a post

Thank you for taking time to help Etsy! Please note that you will not receive a personal response about this report. We will review this post privately.

Why are you reporting this post?

Any additional comments?

Edit Post

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Edit Reply

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Enter at least 15 characters. 400 remaining.

Close

What is this?

Admin may choose to highlight awesome community posts that are friendly, answer questions, and offer informative links.

What does it do?

Highlighted posts are placed at the top of each page in a thread for greater visibility.