Close

Discussions

Sign in to participate in this discussion.

37 Responses

By sores, do you mean cuts? Depending on the kind of jewelry you are talking about (I am assuming rings) making a ring is a beating on one's hands. Saws, fire, sharp implements of all kinds. And sometimes the only hands around are your own. "Ewww, you work hard and your hands aren't perfect!" That is what I am hearing.
"Ewww, you work hard and your hands aren't perfect!" That is what I am hearing.

That's what I'm hearing too. Like you need to be absolutely perfect otherwise you cannot wear your own stuff for promotional shots.

I guess that explains the fashion industry.
That is just gross!!
Be proud of your artisans hands but please don't use them for marketing a product. That's two entirely different things. The cuts & bumps & dirty nails that show you're a hard working artist just looks unappealing to me when you're trying to sell me something. Use the artisans hands photos on your About page showing me your hands at work. But please!, not on product shots.

I quickly click away from a shop that shows scaly skin, crusty cuticles and dirty nails. Just really disturbing to me. Oh, and feet! Please. NO! I don't want to see anybody's feet on Etsy, especially if they're swollen, scaly & have crusty cuticles. At least put on flesh colored socks. I think the feet photos I've seen creep me out even more than the hands...LOL.
My hands are not pretty any more, and they do get beat up from the work. Also there is the whole wrinkle issue.
As for jewelry in stores...oh, the stories I could tell. With 14 years behind the counters, department store to luxury icon, I can tell you that the jewelry is not as pristine as you may imagine.
When I need to use "live" hands, I edit the photo, by using the suntan feature and the "remove wrinkle" feature, so that the skin looks smooth and lightly tanned. it covers a lot of those problems
remove wrinkle feature?!? Where is that please?
Just to clarify what I said earlier, I don't have a problem with hands in product shots per se. Two shops I use show their beads & pendants in their hands & it helps to visualize size. But their hands are clean & look ok. It doesn't mean you have to go get a mani. Soap, lotion, a nail file & a little cuticle oil does wonders.

Unfollow username?

Are you sure you want to stop following this person?

Report a post

Thank you for taking time to help Etsy! Please note that you will not receive a personal response about this report. We will review this post privately.

Why are you reporting this post?

Any additional comments?

Edit Post

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Edit Reply

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Enter at least 15 characters. 400 remaining.

Close

What is this?

Admin may choose to highlight awesome community posts that are friendly, answer questions, and offer informative links.

What does it do?

Highlighted posts are placed at the top of each page in a thread for greater visibility.