Discussions

Sign in to participate in this discussion.

Help! Nothing Selling!! Am I doing something wrong?

I have been on Etsy for a while now and I have not sold a single item! Is there a problem with my listings or my pictures...?? Is it because I have no feedback? I can't have feedback if no one buys!!

Please help!

Thank you!

1 Highlighted Response

Hi there,

First off, welcome to Etsy! I’m sorry to hear you’re struggling to get that first sale. I think in speaking with your fellow sellers, you’ll see many people can relate. I’m going to move this thread over to Business Topics, which is the best place for the type of discussion forming here.

www.etsy.com/help/article/360

The tips here are great. The seller community is definitely one of your biggest resources. If you are ever looking for an in-depth critique, I would suggest you check out a critique team, over here: www.etsy.com/teams/search/?search_query=critique&sort=relevancy&sea...

I also wanted to tip you off to the newest edition of the Seller Handbook. It’s a massive, extremely valuable resource of information about everything Etsy, especially helpful to new sellers: www.etsy.com/blog/en/2012/the-seller-handbook/. Check it out and share with us what you learn,

Audrey

38 Responses

Rachel, selling on here can be quite unpredictable and Jewelry is one of the hardest categories to get noticed in.

1st - are you promoting off site and where? If you are only on Etsy, you will not get a lot of traffic and being seen = sales....

2nd - your pictures. You may want to rethink the dark black backgrounds. the three pics on page two (pale background) are much easier on the eye....
You don't have any policies so people may think you are still setting your shop up. They are really handy to help reassure potential customers.

You can have feedback without selling, you know. You can buy things and get it as a buyer. I personally think this is quite a good thing to do as it gives you a good understanding of what your own customers experience when shopping on Etsy.
Lack of feedback is probably part of it. (You actually can get some positive feedback as a buyer, which may help some.) But I'd also guess that, given your high price point, you'll have to work harder to bring buyers to you, rather than relying on Etsy traffic. Good luck! Your jewelry is lovely!
Read everything you can about SEO and Relevancy.

Your Tags need to be 2-3 word phrases that buyers use to find your items. Repeat those keyword phrases in your Title for the best relevancy results. :)
do you have any lower priced items to sell? with no feedback people may be leery to consider spending that kind of money.
I think in this economy, these prices are a bit much for most...
I have to agree with what has been said,
1) For example you have one photo that I can barely see what you are selling it looks like a black necklace with a black background, you may want to lighten up your photo's

2) No policies, I always read someones policys just incase it gets broken during shipping I want to know what you do about that.

3) tags and titles need to be re-worked a bit as well

3)
I would recommend joining a critique team or SEO team. I've been here 5 years and I am still getting the hang of SEO.

I would also make sure you have insurance because selling those infant bracelets is risky stuff.

As for a higher price point, don't sweat it. My mom sells pricey items and hasn't seen an effects from the down economy.

Buy a few small things, maybe supplies, to build some feedback. Fill out your policies too. You don't want to be caught unawares if a buyer has an issue.

Your pictures are a tad on the dark side. Filtered natural light is best. Pictures are my Achilles heel. I still battle every day to improve mine.

Welcome and good luck!
Economy has nothing to do with our shops. What is a lot of money to some is pocket change to others. I'm no expert on photography, but I agree with Lyndie.. not a fan of the black background! :)

Unfollow username?

Are you sure you want to stop following this person?

Report a post

Thank you for taking time to help Etsy! Please note that you will not receive a personal response about this report. We will review this post privately.

Why are you reporting this post?

Any additional comments?

Edit Post

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Edit Reply

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Enter at least 15 characters. 400 remaining.

Close

What is this?

Admin may choose to highlight awesome community posts that are friendly, answer questions, and offer informative links.

What does it do?

Highlighted posts are placed at the top of each page in a thread for greater visibility.