Close

Discussions

Sign in to participate in this discussion.

defining clothing sizes

when I first decided to make clothes & sell them, the first obstacle I thought I needed to tackle was sizing. so I decided to h-e-double-hockey-sticks with "standard" sizing, I was going to make clothes & sell them based on measurements.
small=26-30in waist
med=31-35in waist
large=36-40in waist
so I decided for ease & speed my first series of skirts would have elastic waists. I set out measuring & cutting the fabric, using my measuring standard max making the small skirt at 30in, the med at 35 & the lrg at 40. Then adding elastic cut 2in shorter than the small measurement w/in a size; ei: the small cut 24in, the med cut 29in & the lrg cut 34in. I was thinking this would allow someone with the smaller number w/in a range the ability to wear what someone with the higher number.
does that make sense?
my question is: how do I convey sizing to my customers? I've worked in customer service for 10+ years, I know to "over-communicate." but I'm afraid re-iterrating the above information would scare a customer away.
any suggestions?
thanks!

5 Responses

In your description you put the measurements for the sizing.
If you say it has an elastic waist, I think the sizing will be clear.
How about something like, as an example:
Size MEDIUM. Elastic waist band. Fits 31-35 inch waist.

:)

I am waaaaaaaay over-thinking this. thanks :)
It might be useful to add what standard size it is too, because it's rare for someone to just KNOW their waist measurements, and as soon as you make a customer work for your item, they don't want it as much!

So perhaps:
31 to 35 inch elasticated waist, suitable for a UK Size 10 or US Size (whatever the US size is!)
Just list the measurements in the description.

Its hard to list an actual size because in the USA there aren't any 'standard' sizes. Each garment manufacturer has their own size standards.

One manufacturer's size 10 may be another's size 14.

Unfollow username?

Are you sure you want to stop following this person?

Report a post

Thank you for taking time to help Etsy! Please note that you will not receive a personal response about this report. We will review this post privately.

Why are you reporting this post?

Any additional comments?

Edit Post

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Edit Reply

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Enter at least 15 characters. 400 remaining.

Close

What is this?

Admin may choose to highlight awesome community posts that are friendly, answer questions, and offer informative links.

What does it do?

Highlighted posts are placed at the top of each page in a thread for greater visibility.