Sign in to participate in this discussion.

Fiction books about starting a business

I read this great book called The Tea Rose. Its about a girl who moves to America and takes over her uncles failing grocery store. There is a ton more to the story including that fact that Jack the Ripper kills her mum...but it's really just about building and growing a business.

The main character meets a man who is a well known and wealthy business guy and at one point he tells her to "Use what you know to grow." I LOVE that phrase. It's so simple and comforting.

Anyway, before I get off on a tangent about how great this book is I just wanted to see if we could get a list going of great fiction books that deal with starting or growing a business. If you can't think of a book then a movie would be fine too :)

4 Responses

You've Got Mail is a good movie to encourage small businesses to grow and keep trying. The big guys moved in next to her shop, but she was determined to ignore them and keep going.

That's what we all should do. Just keep on going.
The best I've read it Don't Stop the Carnival by Herman Wouk.

It's about a guy from New York who buys and then tries to run a resort in the Caribbean. It's a good read and looking back it really shows what it's like to try to run a business in this crazy world.
Default avatar
Inactive Etsy Member 11:08am Jun 27, 2012 EDT
Martin Dressler by Stephen Milhauser
Jeffrey Archer's "As the Crow Flies"

Awesome book about building a business empire. From a fruit cart to the largest shopping "mall" in England. It's set in the past, but is still one of my fave books of his and I reread it often :)

Unfollow username?

Are you sure you want to stop following this person?

Report a post

Thank you for taking time to help Etsy! Please note that you will not receive a personal response about this report. We will review this post privately.

Why are you reporting this post?

Any additional comments?

Edit Post

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Edit Reply

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Enter at least 15 characters. 400 remaining.

What is this?

Admin may choose to highlight awesome community posts that are friendly, answer questions, and offer informative links.

What does it do?

Highlighted posts are placed at the top of each page in a thread for greater visibility.