Discussions

Sign in to participate in this discussion.

Seasonal Slowdown Article: Call for Responses!

Show Thread Summary

126 Responses

I am still fairly new but it seems like I have been here forever I know does not make sense. I am blessed to have another income but I have sunk alot of money into inventory that can not sit on my shelves for to long so I decided to take this time and open another shop something totally different and really do it the best I possibly can. I guess i figure I will sink or swim with selling online.
I work every year on having less down time.
And I prep my new Halloween items in July to be launched in August.
And as a wedding and costume seller- well December is my worst month consistently over the summer months ( which is kind of nice:)
But after four years of working on this here at Etsy I don't think this July will be very slow so I have finally conquered July and I conquered the normal slowdown in June (and some Etsy changes) with outside advertising.
The Summer down time is a great time for me to work, since many of my products have to sit on a shelf for a month or more before they're ready to sell. I also like to have a sale in August, because it's my Etsy-versary, but it also helps to make room for the new things I bring out for Fall. I'm still a fairly new shop, so my growth still masks the seasonal slowdown for me a bit. It's enough this year though that I'm really able to appreciate extra time to experiment with new formulas and ingredients, and just spend time dreaming of new things :)
Rhea from sweetsnthings says

The Summer down time is a great time for me to work, since many of my products have to sit on a shelf for a month or more before they're ready to sell. I also like to have a sale in August, because it's my Etsy-versary, but it also helps to make room for the new things I bring out for Fall. I'm still a fairly new shop, so my growth still masks the seasonal slowdown for me a bit. It's enough this year though that I'm really able to appreciate extra time to experiment with new formulas and ingredients, and just spend time dreaming of new things :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A couple of really great points and ideas Rhea! Some items need the extra time to cure like soaps and other body products. An August Etsy-versary sale is a great idea, love it! We all love end of season sales~

Using the extra time to experiment with different formulas and items is a great way to plan for the busier months. Looking forward to seeing what new things you create!

Cheers!
The slower summer season actually helps me be more relaxed, and think of new designs, products, which I now can experiment with....product test.....
In the Fall /Winter and early Spring I just write the idea down, make a sketch, but then never have the time to make them...
My mind is now racing with new designs..
We've seen a ton of really great ideas and tips so far! Does anyone else have any good advice to offer?
I use the slowdown time to prepare stocking the store with new items and interacting as much as possible to gain exposure.
A big thing that has been beneficial is to go back and take a look at my own store. I improve on descriptions in listings, retake product images. I find that there's always something that could be improved on.
Ann:
Me too! I have four new ideas that I'm working on :) It's always fun creating designs and adding to the store :)
Fantastic thread!

Following along and want to read all of the posts!

Thanks for starting this!
Default avatar
Inactive Etsy Member 7:10 pm Jul 5, 2012 EDT
I'm using this time to build inventory and network a little bit. I know summer is a dreadful time to sell yarn, no matter how beautiful, so I'm just trying to get my name out there now before the holiday crunch rolls around.

Unfollow username?

Are you sure you want to stop following this person?

Report a post

Thank you for taking time to help Etsy! Please note that you will not receive a personal response about this report. We will review this post privately.

Why are you reporting this post?

Any additional comments?

Edit Post

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Edit Reply

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Enter at least 15 characters. 400 remaining.

Close

What is this?

Admin may choose to highlight awesome community posts that are friendly, answer questions, and offer informative links.

What does it do?

Highlighted posts are placed at the top of each page in a thread for greater visibility.