Sign in to participate in this discussion.

Do people get drawn to a shop who has free shipping?

Default avatar
Inactive Etsy Member 5:15pm Jul 9, 2012 EDT
I am doing an experiment with free shipping to see weather my sales would increase with it. Has any-one done this, and how have you found it to work out?

Thank you heaps!

86 Responses

Default avatar
Inactive Etsy Member 5:28pm Jul 9, 2012 EDT
Default avatar
Inactive Etsy Member 5:29pm Jul 9, 2012 EDT
Personally, I'm not drawn to it as I know that the "free" shipping is probably just included in the item price.
But I'm sure it works for some people.
I did a couple of months last year with Free Shipping in my tags and title and description.

It made no difference to sales (I honestly don't think anyone noticed!) BUT it certainly affected my Google views - all of my listings disappeared from Google Shopping. Google does not like Free Shipping!
Tried it in my shop a couple of times and it did not make any difference even with advertising it on FB, twitter and my blog. Not really worth it for me.
That's not always true, Hattie. When people do free shipping as a promo, they don't usually then go and change the price of all their listings.
Customers love it. That is why Amazon and so many other big retailers offer it. No matter what anyone says here the facts are clear - customers like free shipping.
Nothing is ever free. "Free shipping" usually means the original price was just increased.
Far too many people yelling 'Free shipping!!!' when they have clearly just upped the price - that is included, not free.

I am cynical of it now, sorry.

I know that things cost to send in the post. So I don't mind seeing a fair postage price. If I can't see it because it is included in the item price, how do I know it actually is fair?
When it's truly free shipping I am more tempted to buy something. Low shipping charges work better in general though.

Unfollow username?

Are you sure you want to stop following this person?

Report a post

Thank you for taking time to help Etsy! Please note that you will not receive a personal response about this report. We will review this post privately.

Why are you reporting this post?

Any additional comments?

Edit Post

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Edit Reply

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Enter at least 15 characters. 400 remaining.

What is this?

Admin may choose to highlight awesome community posts that are friendly, answer questions, and offer informative links.

What does it do?

Highlighted posts are placed at the top of each page in a thread for greater visibility.