Discussions

This topic has been closed.

Stop Cyber Racism

In the last week, I've seen someone who doesn't ship to Nigeria because they think it has the highest scammer rate. I've seen someone else who doesn't even answer a customer's e-mail if it's obvious that English isn't their first language, even if they don't seem to be trying to scam them.

Racism is believing that all members of a race have the same (usually negative) characteristics and using discriminatory or abusive behavior towards them. Doing this online is cyber racism.

Of course we should all look out for scammers and protect ourselves... but please educate yourself before you start treating people differently based on where they're from.

I don't have more recent stats, but in 2009 IC3 (the Internet Crime Complaint Center) reported that the United States had the highest internet fraud rate, with 65.4% of reported cases coming from within the U.S. The U.K. was right behind them at 9.9% and Nigeria behind them at 8%.

And before anyone says that it used to be Nigeria was the worst and things have changed recently (this comes up every time I post this anywhere online). In 2008, 92.93% of internet fraud came from the U.S. and Nigeria wasn't even on the top 10 list.

191 Responses

Just found the 2011 stats!

U.S. 90.99%
Canada 1.4%
U.K. 0.97%
Australia 0.66%

All the other countries are under 0.5%, and Nigeria and China aren't on the top 10 list.
Dang, I just became a US citizen 3 years ago, don't tell me that it is time to immigrate to Canada, UK or Australia:)
Racism is believing that all members of a race have the same (usually negative) characteristics and using discriminatory or abusive behavior towards them. Doing this online is cyber racism.

-----

Interesting. That's not my definition of racism at all. Mine is hating members of a group based upon their race.
I agree, people will make up any excuse for their racism. There is no excuse for it.
If a country is known to have major postal issues, (which there are some), then i would be leery to ship there. As shop owners we do have a choice. I wont be the one to use the racist card here.

Janet, i totally agree with you.
Janet - usually people who hate people based on their race have an excuse. They say that they all do a certain thing, and that justifies their hatred... and hating someone normally leads to discrimination, whether it's related to race or not.
Yes, and the same can be said for assuming all sellers from china are selling wares that are not handmade.

Racism? I dunno. But discrimination based on a stereotype is a good way to describe it.

I find dealing with fraud requires a "case-by-case basis" so it doesn't matter where the person is based out of.

And as an American, I'm LOLing over the fact that we are first. WE'RE NUMBER 1!!! Woo! ;-)
The examples you cited may be intolerant but it is not racism.

There are some teams on etsy who only want English speaking members for the sake of effective communication on the team and other teams may require a language like Spanish to be spoken by all members. That's not racism.

If most of my packages get lost shipping to Italy and I choose to ship there, it is not racism.
Sallie - I agree, I won't ship something somewhere if I've done my research and I know that there are major risks in employing their postal system.

However, I won't refuse to ship just because I heard that there are a lot of scammers in that country, and that's what I was talking about in my OP.

Unfollow username?

Are you sure you want to stop following this person?

Report a post

Thank you for taking time to help Etsy! Please note that you will not receive a personal response about this report. We will review this post privately.

Why are you reporting this post?

Any additional comments?

Edit Post

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Edit Reply

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Enter at least 15 characters. 400 remaining.

Close

What is this?

Admin may choose to highlight awesome community posts that are friendly, answer questions, and offer informative links.

What does it do?

Highlighted posts are placed at the top of each page in a thread for greater visibility.